Using PAM to Reroute Loyola Email
To re-route your Loyola email, you will need to set your preferred email address in the Personal Account Manager (PAM). After this has been set, you will need to create a GroupWise rule within your email account. The following information provides step-by-step instructions to setting up your re-route for your email account.
Once at PAM, you will need to either type in your username in the Username field or type in your last name in the Last Name field. If you have a long last name, you can simply type the first few characters then a *, such as baze*. Then click the Next button under the box you typed in.
You should see a screen with one or more login IDs. Locate your ID and click on it. If you do not see your ID, go back to the initial screen and make sure you correctly typed your login ID.
Type in your password in the Password: field and click Next.
On the next screen titled Identification, scroll to the bottom to find the E-Mail Address textbox
Type in your preferred e-mail address and click Save. Please note, if anyone sends e-mail to your expanded Loyola address (email@example.com), the message will not be re-routed. As a result, please only give your mail correspondents the shortened version of your email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are re-routing your e-mail back to your University e-mail program, then you must enter your full e-mail address in the "E-Mail Address" field:
GroupWise users: email@example.com
StudentEMail users: firstname.lastname@example.org
To re-route mail for GroupWise users, you must also set an E-Mail forwarding rule.
1. Open your GroupWise account.
2. Choose Tools | Rules from the menu bar. Click New.
3. Type forward in the "Rule name:" field.
4. Click the When event is drop-down menu. Choose New Item.
5. Click "Received" and "Posted" in the "And items are:" list.
6. Click the Add Action pop-up list and choose Forward. The Forward window opens.
7. In the "To:" field, type your new e-mail address. In the "Subject:" field, type forwarded message.
DO NOT "CC:" or "BC:" your Loyola e-mail account.
8. Click OK, then click Save.
GroupWise Web Access
1. From the GroupWise WebAccess main window, click Options.
2. Click Rules.
3. Select the type of rule you want to create:
Delete: moves specified messages to the Trash folder.
Forward: forwards specified messages to the recipients you choose.
Move to Folder: moves specified messages to the folder of your choice.
Reply: generates a reply to specified messages.
Vacation: generates a reply to all new messages you receive.
Important: The Reply option gives you the choice of replying to the sender only, or to the sender and all other recipients. The Vacation option, on the other hand, can only reply to the sender of the original message. If you go on vacation, be sure to create a Vacation rule, not a Reply rule.
4. Click Create to display the Create Rule form.
5. Type the name you want to use for the rule.
6. Define the condition under which messages should be affected by the rule. (If you want all email to be re-routed, do not define any conditions)
Note: If you are creating a Vacation rule, you cannot define a condition. The vacation rule will affect all new messages.
7. Define the actions that you want performed when the rule is applied.
8. Click Save.
Note: By default, rules are automatically activated. If you do not want your new rule activated immediately, click the check box next to the rule and then click Save. Remember to activate your rule when you want it to go into affect.
9. Click Close.
E-mail re-routing takes an hour to begin. Remember that re-routing will only affect new messages; check your Loyola e-mail account for messages received before you re-routed. Everytime you switch e-mail providers while at Loyola, you must re-route your e-mail to your new address. Now click on the door icon to logout.
There is a quota limit on items that you can keep in your GroupWise mailbox. It's important to know that when you re-route your e-mail, GroupWise still retains a copy of that e-mail. For this reason it's very important that you periodically log into your GroupWise account and clean out old e-mails.