The Loyola University Museum of Art (LUMA) was founded in 2005 on the Water Tower Campus of Loyola University Chicago. LUMA is located on the Magnificent Mile in Lewis Towers, a historic 1926 Gothic Revival building. The museum, with 25,000 square feet contains eight main exhibition galleries, the William G. and Marilyn M. Simpson Lecture Hall, the Solomon Cordwell Buenz Library of Sacred Art and Architecture, the Museum Store, the Push Pin Gallery, and the Harlan J. Berk Ltd. Works on Paper Gallery. LUMA welcomes new members and volunteers at all levels of participation.
The mission of the museum is illustrated in the first floor lobby by the Windows of Faith, representing the five major faiths of Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam.
The Museum operates as part of the educational mission of the University and is a 501(c)3 cultural institution receiving public and private support and with an elected board of advisors.
Images: Judaism (detail), Lester Lampert, Stained glass, A generous gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Lampert in Memory of Seymour Lampert, 2007; Christianity (detail), Meltem Aktas, Stained glass, A generous gift of Guy and Gisele DiSpigno, 2006; (detail) Hinduism (detail), Indira Freitas Johnson, Stained glass