Reliquary Châsse

Reliquary Châsse, ca. 1180
French (Limoges)
Copper gilt with champlevé enamel, and cabochon crystals
Gift of Mrs. Eugene Raymondaud in memory of Commandant Raymondaud, 73-04

A reliquary châsse contains the relics of a saint. The gabled roof and overall form of the châsse echo the shape of a small church. This chasse is richly adorned with colored enamel produced in the champlevé technique. The central design illustrates the Crucifixion of Christ, flanked by Mary and St. John.

back to Martin D'Arcy Collection