Reliquary Châsse, ca. 1180
Copper gilt with champlevé enamel, and cabochon crystals
Gift of Mrs. Eugene Raymondaud in memory of Commandant Raymondaud, 73-04
A reliquary châsse contains the relics of a saint. The gabled roof and overall form of the châsse echo the shape of a small church. This chasse is richly adorned with colored enamel produced in the champlevé technique. The central design illustrates the Crucifixion of Christ, flanked by Mary and St. John.