There is one required book for this course:
Axler, Sheldon. Precalculus: A Prelude to Calculus, 2nd Edition Paperback w/ Wileyplus ISBN: 978-1-118-55625-2. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2012.
Many instructors do require WileyPLUS. If your section is using WileyPLUS, it is important that you buy a bundle that includes a WileyPLUS access code since you will need it in order to submit homework. A WileyPLUS access code includes an online electronic version of the textbook. You can obtain an access code in one of three ways:
- Buy a new copy of the text bundled with WileyPLUS access code from the bookstore.
- Buy a Precalculus: A Prelude to Calculus 2E access code directly from the publisher’s website.
- Buy a Precalculus: A Prelude to Calculus 2E WileyPLUS access code directly from the bookstore.
If you go for option (2) or (3) above, then you will only have access to the book electronically through WileyPLUS. Whether you have purchased an access code or not, all students have immediate and free access to register for our class WileyPLUS page. Free trial access expires two weeks after the semester starts.
Center for Tutoring and Academic Excellence
The Center for Tutoring & Academic Excellence offers free collaborative learning opportunities that include small group tutoring and tutor-led study halls to Loyola students. To learn more or request tutoring services, visit the Center for Tutoring & Academic Excellence online at http://www.luc.edu/tutoring.
Loyola Math Club Tutoring
The Loyola Math Club offers free tutoring to students in Math 117 (and other courses). Further details regarding the important information of where and when will be posted once announced.
WileyPLUS is an online, interactive environment for teaching and learning. As part of the required text for MATH 117, you are asked to purchase an access code for WileyPLUS. This access code is active for up to one year, and you will therefore be able to use WileyPLUS next semester (if you take MATH 118) at no additional cost. Many sections of MATH 117 will use WileyPLUS as a required homework component of the final course grade.
Follow the steps below to register for your section in WileyPLUS:
- Go to the WileyPLUS homepage.
- In the Students section of the homepage, click on the Get started button.
- Enter LOYOLA UNIV - CHICAGO as the school name and click Find.
- Click the plus sign next to PRECALCULUS/MATH 117 to expand the section list.
- Click on your section.
- Create a WileyPLUS account or log in using an existing account.
- If you have purchased a hard copy of the text with the access code, enter your code to register for the course. Otherwise you can purchase a code (for $55.00).
Note: All students may register for WileyPLUS immediately, even if you have not received your copy from the bookstore at the start of the semester. If you have not received an access code by January 28, you will no longer have access to WileyPLUS.
Mathematica is a powerful computing environment that is designed for use in engineering, mathematics, finance, physics, chemistry, biology, and a wide range of other fields. Loyola students and faculty can download and install the latest copy of Mathematica for free. You must be logged on to Loyola VPN, and then visit the following ITS webpage, https://digitalmedia.luc.edu/News/NewsItem/View/4/mathematica-version-9-downloads-available.