Thank you for your interest in Loyola's graduate mathematics program! For more information about our programs, or to apply for admission, please visit The Graduate School.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
Applicants are expected to possess a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree from an accredited institution and to have earned a minimum of a “B” average in undergraduate course work. In addition, the following courses are minimum requirements for admission to Loyola’s graduate program in Mathematics:
- One year of Calculus equivalent to MATH 161 & MATH 162.
- Multivariable Calculus equivalent to MATH 263.
- Ordinary Differential Equations equivalent to MATH 264.
- Statistics equivalent to STAT 203.
- Linear Algebra equivalent to MATH 212.
- Structured Programming equivalent to MATH 215 or COMP 170.
The following courses are recommended prerequisites for admission to the graduate program in Mathematics; students can be admitted to the graduate program without these prerequisite courses, but such students will be urged to take them during their first semester at Loyola (see Degree Requirements below):
A student deficient in the above minimum course requirements may be admitted either conditionally or as a non-degree student depending on the deficiencies. Such students will be required to take coursework early in their graduate careers to rectify these deficiencies. These students will then be unconditionally admitted to the degree-seeking status if they demonstrate a consistent pattern of success in their coursework.
The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission.
International applicants are expected to have earned a score of at least 550 on the TOEFL (paper) examination or 79 on the IBT examination or 6.5 on the IELTS examination.
Application for graduate study at Loyola University Chicago should be made online at the Graduate School (apply now). The application will be evaluated upon completion. An application is complete upon receipt of the following:
- The Graduate Application Form.
- A one page personal statement of purpose; this is inserted as part of the Graduate Application Form.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Official General Test scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Official TOEFL (paper) or IBT or IELTS scores (for international applicants).
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. An applicant who attended an institution outside the U.S. must submit an ECE transcript evaluation (general evaluation with grade average).
B.S./M.S. 5-YEAR PROGRAM
Students pursuing undergraduate studies in the Mathematics and Statistics Department at Loyola are strongly encouraged to apply for the five-year combined BS/MS degree. Learn more about our combined BS/MS programs.