The McNair Scholars Program offers workshops, academic advising, GRE test preparation, sponsored travel to research conferences, research internships, faculty mentoring, and assistance with making the transition from undergraduate to graduate study.
We invite you to apply if you intend to pursue a career that requires a Ph.D. or other terminal degree, and you meet the following criteria:
- You are a member of at least one of the following groups:
- Low-income and first-generation college student
- Member of a group under-represented in graduate education
- You are either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- You are presently in your junior year at Loyola University Chicago (completed at least 60 credit hours)
- You have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- You plan to attend graduate school to pursue a Ph.D. or other terminal degree
- You are available to participate in a full-time summer research internship
If you meet the above criteria, please submit a completed along with the following:
A Personal Statement
Please include a 2-3 page statement that discusses why you want to participate in the McNair Scholars Program. Describe your research interests, and your academic and career goals. Also discuss skills that you have or need to develop which will be useful in your research such as computer competency, qualitative/quantitative research skills, written and oral communication skills, or knowledge of statistical analysis software.
2 Letters of Recommendation
Include two letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes. The letters should come from faculty and should address your ability to conduct independent research under the supervision of a faculty mentor. Recommenders should also be able to evaluate your potential for graduate school, your capacity for critical/analytical thinking and your ability to organize and express ideas clearly.
Please provide an official transcript from each college or university you have attended. The transcript should be sent directly to the McNair Scholars Program at The Graduate School, Granada Center, Suite 400, Lake Shore Campus (See complete address on back page).
Most Recently Filed Income Tax Forms
The tax forms are required of all applicants. Include a copy of your, and/or your parents' most recently filed Federal Income Tax Return(s). Married applicants must submit a copy of the spouse's tax form if med separately.
Proof of Citizenship or Permanent Residency
Copy of birth certificate, current U.S. passport, or permanent residency card are required of all applicants. Bring original documentation and the program will photocopy.
SUBMIT ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS to