Dr. D. Scott Hendrickson, SJ DPhil
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Graduate Program Director
- The Spanish Golden Age
- Religious art and literature of early modern Spain
- Jesuit spiritual and devotional texts
- The history of printing in Spain and Latin America
- Cervantes and Quijote
Selected Publications and Presentations
- “A Jesuit Catechism: Aspects of Discernment in Juan Eusebio Nieremberg’s Doctrina Christiana (1640),” in Los jesuitas: religión, política y educación (siglos xvi-xviii), ed. by José Martínez Millán, Henar Pizarro Llorente, and Esther Jiménez Pablo, 3 vols (Madrid: Universidad Pontificia Comillas, 2012): ii, 1,221-36.
- “Early Guaraní Printing: Nieremberg’s De la diferencia and the Transmission of Seventeenth-Century Iberian Asceticism,” in Legacies of the Book , ed. by Antoni Ucerler and Xiaoxin Wu (Leiden: Brill, pending 2015)
- Early Modern Spanish Jesuit: J. E. Nieremberg (Leiden: Brill, pending 2015)
- “The engaño made sacred in ‘Las bodas de Camacho’ (Don Quijote, part ii), Cervantes Colloquium, Loyola University Chicago, 23 April 2014
- “Delight in Death: Juan Eusebio Nieremberg’s Partida a la eternidad (1643),” Oxford Graduate Symposium in Spanish Golden Age Studies, University of Oxford, 21 Jan. 2012
- “Discerning the Spirits in a Jesuit Catechism: Juan Eusebio Nieremberg’s Doctrina Christiana (1640),” Symposium, Balliol College Oxford, 20-21 May 2011
- “Literature and Mission: Nieremberg’s De la diferencia and the Appeal of Seventeenth-century Spanish asceticism,” Modern Languages Spanish Seminar, Taylorian Institute Oxford, 3 May 2011
- “Bajeza and hermosura: Imaging the World in the Ascetical Treatises of Nieremberg,” Graduate Symposium in Spanish Golden Age Studies, University of Oxford, 16 Jan. 2010
- “La Verdad del engaño en La Celestina,” Congreso Internacional de Literatura Hispánica, Santo Domingo, República Dominicana, 11-15 March 2005
- “Violencia y dignidad en Prisión Verde,” Missouri Philological Association, Kansas City, Missouri, 26-28 Feb. 2004
- Barreto Jimeno, Pedro. "Courage: Regional Jesuit Apostolic Cooperation," Jesuits 2003 (Rome: General Curia, 2002): 83-84.
- Dinelly, Miranda. “Lightweight Chivalry of Yesterday, Itinerant Team Today,” Jesuits 2004 (Rome:
- General Curia, 2003): 97-102.
- Iglesias, Ignacio. “Is the Society of Jesus What it Once Was?,” Jesuits 2006 (Rome: General Curia, 2005): 36-37.
- López, Francisco. “Padre Piquer: a place of opportunity,” Jesuits 2007 (Rome: General Curia, 2006): 26-30.
- Mercieca, Eddie. “Continuing Formation in Spiritual Direction,” Review of Ignatian Spirituality, 36 (2005): 99-101.
- Petty, Miguel. “The Catholic University of Córdoba,” Jesuits 2004 (Rome: General Curia, 2003): 56-57.
- Rodríguez Osorio, Hermann. “Spiritual Accompaniment during the Spiritual Exercises According to St. Ignatius,” Review of Ignatian Spirituality, 36 (2005): 71-93.
- Salomón, Uriel. “Vocation Promotion in the Amazon,” Jesuits 2006 (Rome: General Curia, 2005): 132-34.
- Tampe, Eduardo. “The Churches of Chiloé: Patrimony of Humanity,” Jesuits 2003, (Rome: General Curia, 2002): 133-35.
- Tejeda, Hanglet. “A Transforming Adventure: Loyola Excursion Center,” Jesuits 2007 (Rome: General Curia,2006): 124-25.
Simultaneous Translation and Interpretation
- World Assembly of CLC, Beirut, Lebanon (29 July-11 August 2013)
- Congregation of Jesuit Procurators, Nairobi, Kenya (7-15 July, 2012)
- General Assembly of European Jesuit Provincials, Bad Schönbrunn, Switzerland (17-20 Oct, 2010)
- General Assembly of European Jesuit Provincials, Mosta, Malta (17-20 Oct, 2009)
- General Assembly of European Jesuit Provincials, Gdynia, Poland (21-23 Oct, 2007)
- General Assembly of European Jesuit Provincials, Ludwigshafen, Germany (22-25 Oct, 2006)
- International Conference on Ignatian Spirituality, Loyola, Spain (20-26 Oct, 2006)
- DPhil, Spanish literature, Oxford University, 2013
- Licenciatura, Estudios Eclesiásticos, Universidad Pontificia Comillas, 2008
- MA, Hispanic Studies, New York University, 2002
- MA, Spanish Literature, Bowling State University, 1997
Courses Regularly Taught at Loyola
- Spanish Composition and conversation
- Introduction to Spanish literature
- Golden Age Theatre
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland
- Modern Language Association
- Cervantes Society of America
- Renaissance Society of America