Dr. David M. Posner
Associate Professor, French Language and Literature
Editor, Journal of the Midwest Modern Language Association
- European literatures (French, Italian, German, English) of the Renaissance and 17th century, in particular prose narrative, epic, theater, and the essay
- The reception of Classical antiquity in the Renaissance
- Modern and contemporary Francophone literatures, especially those of sub-Saharan Africa
- Philosophy and literature
- Literature and opera
- “What do Philosophers Want? Love and Loss in the Essais of Montaigne”, in Teoria 29:2 (2009): 95-107.
- “De Re Ædificatoria: Panurge and the Walls of Paris”, forthcoming in Modern Philology.
- “Mortality, Melancholy, and the Limits of Knowledge in the Quart Livre”, in Esprit généreux, esprit pantagruélicque (Genève: Droz, 2008): 197-208.
- “Rhetoric, Redemption, and Fraud: What We Do When We End Books”, in the MLA’s Profession 2005: 179-82.
- “Religious Economies in The Merchant of Venice”, in Annals of Scholarship 16:1-3 (2004): 139-53.
- “French Literature”, “Montaigne”, “Rabelais”, and “Racine”, articles for Europe 1450-1789: Encyclopedia of the Early Modern World (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2003).
- The Performance of Nobility in Early Modern European Literature. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Ph. D., Comparative Literature, Princeton (1992).
- AB, Comparative Literature, Stanford (1984).
Courses Regularly Taught
- French 309, Francophone Literature of Africa and the Caribbean
- French 316, Survey of XVIc. Literature
- French 317, Survey of XVIIc. Literature
- French 318, Survey of XVIIIc. Literature
- Honors 101/02, Developments in the History of Western Thought
- Honors 216, Encountering Europe
- LITR 280, Voyages to the Underworld
- LITR 280, Theater
- LITR 280, Renaissance Road Trips
- LITR/INTS/BWS 283, Francophone Literature of Africa and the Caribbean
- LITR 284, African Film
- LITR 285, Literature and Opera
- LITR 290, The Renaissance
- FREN/ITAL/GERM/SPAN 308, Literary Theory Ancient and Modern
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Modern Language Association
- Midwest Modern Language Association
- American Comparative Literature Association
- Renaissance Society of America
- Sixteenth Century Studies Conference
- American Association for Italian Studies
- Société des Amis de Montaigne
- African Literature Association