Mission of Off-campus Student Life
Off-Campus Student Life, an area within the Dean of Students Office, strives to enhance the relationship between our students living off campus and our neighbors in Edgewater & Rogers Park. We work collaboratively with Loyola’s community affairs office, campus police, neighborhood associations and the Chicago Police Department in order to heighten student awareness of responsibilities of being good neighbors. It is our hope to help students and neighbors develop mutually beneficial relationships and help students in this specific aspect of development as mature adults.
Objectives of Off-campus Student Life
- Inform sophomores considering living off campus as upperclassmen of steps to take in preparation for the experience and what to expect.
- Promote and enhance good relationships with neighbors by increasing students' awareness of their responsibilities as members of the residential community.
- Educate students about steps they can take to more fully integrate themselves into the local community and enjoy the rich fabric of our neighborhoods. Thus, allowing them to fully enjoy their off campus experience while maintaining mutual respect with their neighbors.
- Help students understand their rights as tenants and how to conduct an effective apartment search and evaluation of properties.
- OCSL serves as a liaison between the university and our neighbors, encouraging dialogue about issues of mutual concern.