Minor in Ethics and Moral Philosophy
Ethics is a central area of human concern and human inquiry. A special concern with ethics and human values is one of things that defines Loyola University Chicago and the Jesuit Tradition. Philosophy and philosophical treatments of ethics and ethical theory are foundational for the critical discussion of ethical issues in other fields. The Minor in Ethics and Moral Philosophy can prove to be a significant credential for some students, both for finding employment and for admission to graduate or professional school, as there is increasing attention to the study of ethics in professional schools.
For this minor a student must take six courses in ethics. At least four of these six courses must be taken from the Philosophy Department, and at least two of them must be at the 300-level.
As many as two ethics courses can be taken outside of the Philosophy Department. Philosophy Majors cannot receive the Minor in Ethics and Moral Philosophy.
All sections of any the following courses count for the Minor in Ethics and Moral Philosophy:
- Communication 217. Ethics and Communication
- Criminal Justice 350. Philosophical Foundations of Criminal Justice
- Philosophy 181. Ethics [previously 281]
- Philosophy 182. Social and Political Philosophy [previously 282]
- Philosophy 184. Health Care Ethics [previously 284]
- Philosophy 185. Business Ethics [previously 283]
- Philosophy 186. Ethics and Education [previously 285]
- Philosophy 188. Culture and Civilization [previously 285]
- Philosophy 189. Philosophy and Gender [previously 285]
- Philosophy 321. Ethics and Society
- Philosophy 323. Philosophy of Law
- Philosophy 324. Topics in Ethics
- Philosophy 369. Philosophy of Medicine
- Philosophy 385. Environmental Ethics
- Philosophy 388. History of Ethics
- Political Science 341. Political Ethics and Public Service
- Theology 192. Moral Problems
- Theology 194. Social and Economic Christian Thought
- Theology 340. Foundations of Christian Morality
- Theology 342. Perspectives on Life and Death
- Theology 344. Theology and Ecology
Note also that a student can incorporate the courses taken for the Core Curriculum into this minor, in such a way that only some additional courses are needed to complete this minor. For example, a student can take two Core philosophy area courses in ethics and one Core theology area course in ethics. That student would then take three additional ethics courses (of which two are from Philosophy at the 300-level) in order to receive the Minor in Ethics and Moral Philosophy. This feature can be useful in planning the courses for one's minor.