Job Application Tips
Sometimes you may be asked to fill out a job application directly on a company's website and need to convert your resume from a Word document to a plain text.
Below are the steps to convert your MS Word document to Plain Text:
- Open your existing Word resume document.
- Using the main toolbar “File” menu, scroll down and select “Save As”
- Using the “Save As” box, proceed as follows:
- In the “Save In” window, select the location where you want to store the new file (suggestion: “Desktop”).
- In the “File Name” window, assign the new file a name (suggestion: “Plain Text Resume”).
- In the “Save as Type” window, scroll down and select “Text Only” or “Plain Text”.
- Click on “Save” to save the new plain text file to your Desktop.
- A screen may appear advising you that the “file you are about to save may contain features that are not compatible with a text only format. Do you want to save the document in this format?” If this occurs, click “Yes”. You may also see a File Conversion box. If so, accept the default settings and click OK to continue.
- Close the original Word file and open the new file on your Desktop.
- Now to polish your Plain Text resume.
- Align your text to the left, keeping each line to no more than 60 letters.
- The tab key won’t work and don’t bother trying to center anything.
- Use asterisk to replace bullets or the hyphen to make separations.
- Utilize all capitalizing, underlining with hyphens, and making the most of the white space.
123 State Street
Chicago, IL 60611
To obtain a position in finance.
Loyola University Chicago
*Bachelor of Business Administration
**anticipated May 2008
ROCKWOOD INSURANCE, Chicago, IL
Financial Analyst, 10/2004-present
+Developed new financial structure for analyzing vendors.
+Maintained financial records of various clients.