- Wednesday, August 16 | Law 1 Orientation Attendees + Leaders (must request Early Arrival)
- Tuesday, August 22 | Baumhart Hall residents
Lake Shore Campus
- Sunday, August 20 | International First Year Student Orientation
- Monday, August 21 | Incoming Transfer students attending Orientation
- Tuesday, August 22 | First Year students attending Orientation
- Wednesday, August 23 | First Year students
- Thursday, August 24 | First Year and Incoming Transfer students
- Friday, August 25 | No Move-ins permitted. Please attend Convocation.
- Saturday, August 26 | Upper-Class students
- Sunday, August 27 | Students may continue to arrive
Students arriving before their assigned arrival time may be redirected to the parking garage and may need to wait until their arrival time begins or until conditions allow for an additional move-in slot. Students may move-in after their assigned arrival time, but we cannot guarantee staff or volunteers will be available to assist.
Welcome to Loyola. Welcome home.
- Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation on Monday, August 21, 2017
- Volunteer about 15 hours throughout Move-In Week
- Assist students with unloading their vehicles
- Move belongings to student rooms and help them get settled
- Direct parents and students around campus
Before Move-In Day, students will receive detailed information via their LUC.edu email address regarding their housing assignment and arrival date/time as well as a link to their digital Move-In Manual in mid-late July. Information is subject to change.
Included below are tips to help you have an enjoyable Move-In experience.
- Will your family/friends need a place to stay in Chicago? | Check out the hotel/lodging options near campus and book your stay in advance.
- Immunization Records | Please provide your immunization records to the Wellness Center if you have not already done so.
- Emergency Contact Information | Please update your emergency contact information in LOCUS prior to your arrival. Students may not check in without up-to-date emergency contact information.
- Renters Insurance | Loyola recommends renters insurance for all residents. Refer to 'Renters Insurance' below for more information.
- Shipping Items, MicroFridge Rentals, Linens | Residence Life partners with USS to offer several services including ship-to-your-room, MicroFridge rentals, and residence hall linens.
- Lofting and Bunking Requests | Students in some residence halls may request to have the beds lofted or bunked prior to their arrival. CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT A LOFTING OR BUNKING REQUEST
- Communicate with roommate(s) | Students are encouraged to contact their future roommates to get to know one-another and coordinate who will be responsible for bringing shared items (if applicable). First Year roommate information will be available in mid-July.
- Special Accommodations | If a student or family member requires an accommodation (wheelchair access, limited mobility, etc.), please contact our office in advance and we will be happy to assist you. Students who require an accommodation for the duration of the academic year should contact Services for Students with Disabilities.
- Don't overpack | Everything you need should fit into two (2) moving carts (carts are 48"x28.5"x59"). Large furniture may be prohibited. Please see our Suggested Packing List (included in the next section) for tips.
- Don't use cardboard boxes | Plastic storage bins are more sustainable and will also be handy when it's time to move-out. We recommend that you clearly label each bin with your name and room number.
- Travel in one (1) vehicle only | Multiple cars, RVs, and other large vehicles will not be permitted in the campus parking garage.
- Arrive at your allotted time | Students must move-in during their assigned Move-In date/time; we are unable to take requests for specific move-in dates/times. Students who arrive before their Move-In time may be redirected to a parking garage and may have to wait until conditions allow for additional move-ins. Students may move-in after their Move-In time, but we cannot guarantee staff or volunteers will be available to assist.
- Be prepared | Have your Insurance Card, Loyola ID, and Emergency Contact information out and ready as you pull up to your designated unloading area at your assigned time. Unloading areas are outlined in the maps located on the right side of this page.
- Move-In Assistance | Staff and volunteers will be available during scheduled Move-In days. Move-In carts will also be available.
- Move-In Manual | We've gone digital! Students may access their Move-In Manual on the Residence Life Portal in LOCUS beginning in mid-late July.
Welcome to Loyola. Welcome home.
clothing (Chicago weather ranges from hot to cold)
bed linens (twin XL), pillows, and blankets
mobile phone, charger, accessories
basic first-aid supplies
waste basket and bags
computer and accessories
notebooks, folders, binders, etc.
laundry detergent/dryer sheets
High Efficiency (HE) detergent only
iron and ironing board
sewing kit and safety pins
*University provided vacuums will only be available for check-out at winter break, spring break, and closing.
minifridge or MicroFridge (max 4.2 cu.ft.; 1 per room)
Not permitted in apartment-style buildings
microwave (max. 800 watts; 1 per room)
desk lamp and light bulbs
power strips/surge protectors
playing cards and board games
|Do NOT Bring||
sofas, futons, and other large furniture
air conditioning units
appliances with exposed heating elements
pets (except fish)
alcohol or alcohol containers (if under 21)
See the Community Standards for more information.
When you arrive at your designated unloading zone at your allotted time, Residence Life Staff and volunteers will be present to meet you and guide you through Check-In. Parents/families/helpers should remain with your vehicle. Students may only check-in at the tent for their assigned residence hall.
- Check-In | Bring your Loyola ID to the check-in tent, where you will be issued your key and important information.
- Unload | While students check-in, our Move-In Volunteers and/or professional movers will unload your vehicle and take your belongings to your room.
- Park | After your vehicle is unloaded, please move to main garage.
- Meet Up | Students and helpers should meet at the student's room.
- Submit eRCR | The Room Condition Report (eRCR) documents the condition of your room prior to your arrival. Please review and submit this form once you are in your room but before you unpack.
- Unpack | Unpack your belongings and get comfortable in your room, if your roommate hasn't arrived yet, be sure to leave them an equal space. Take any trash/recycling to the appropriate designated areas.
- Settle in | Take some time to meet your roommate(s), floormates, Resident Assistant, Desk Receptionists, Graduate Assistants, and Resident Director. They will all be a great resource during your time at Loyola University Chicago.
- Enjoy Welcome Week | Now that you're settled in your room, it's time to live The Loyola Experience, get started by enjoying the various events of Welcome Week!
Welcome to Loyola. Welcome home.