You will find classrooms everywhere in Rome: on campus, at historical sites, in places of grand culture, on study trips—and, yes, even in office cubicles.
An internship is a great way to take full advantage of your time in Rome, to hone your Italian language skills, and to see the global business world as an insider. All full-year students are eligible to participate in the JFRC's internship program.
Prior to being placed in internships, students are coached by the JFRC faculty coordinator on how to write resumes, interview, and adapt to office life in another culture. A final paper is required, bringing together the academic world with knowledge acquired in the field.
To date, more than 60 JFRC students have served in more than 20 locations, including the Italian Senate, the US Embassy, the Jesuit Refugee Service, the International Law Development Network, and the Capitoline Museum.
This course offers students at the JFRC an opportunity to gain valuable professional experience working in Italian and International organizations and companies. The students explore possible career interests, learn specific skills related to their curriculum and build a strong resume. In addition to this students can be ambassadorsof our Jesuit values towards Italian and International agencies.
This course offers students at the JFRC an opportunity to gain valuable professional experience working in Italian and International organizations and companies. The students explore possible career interests, learn specific skills related to their curriculum and build a strong resume. In addition to this students can be ambassadors of our Jesuit values towards Italian and International agencies.
Internship course description
- Each student usually interns 2 days a week or 5 days a week (4-5 hours each day).
- The students are required to write a weekly journal, which is to be sent to the coordinator to facilitate the reflection “in progress“ of their experience.
- Interns also take part in a special 3 (or 6) credit Rome Center internship class for which the coordinator serves as the professor.
- The class includes a series of monthly seminars with student presentations covering their internship experience and discussions on the challenges of interning in an overseas environment. In addition, guest speakers will be invited to offer “wisdom pills” on career and job hunting
- At the end of the semester they will have to write a scholarly research paper on the internship experience.
- Among the benefits of the internship experience most typically noted by students at the end-of-semester group meeting and in the evaluation form included:
- the ability to hone their Italian-language skills
- developing work etiquette
- working with colleagues from a variety of national backgrounds
- gaining valuable professional experience and strengthen their resume
- “testing the waters” of a specific professional area of interest
- most importantly, applying their classroom knowledge to a unique international professional environment.
Academic internship host agencies
- Jesuit Refugee Service- International Office (JRS) The Jesuit Refugee Service is an international Catholic organisation. Its mission is to accompany, to serve and to plead the cause of refugees and forcibly displaced people. The JRS was set up by the Society of Jesus in 1980 and is now working over 50 countries worldwide. JRS works with all refugees but has a particular concern at present for the "forgotten" refugees who have moved out of the media spotlight. There are over 40 million forcibly displaced people worldwide. This includes 15 million refugees, 27 million internally displaced persons, and more than 837,500 individuals whose asylum applications have not yet been decided.
- Cooperativa Agricola “Il trattore”is a fully organic farmer, fully committed to sustainable practices. So the projects, plowing, and planting are not done through resource-intensive machinery, The organization is actually run by Roma Natura, the environmental organization in Rome that manages the parks and nature preserves. Il trattore is considered one of its educational farms. Il trattore is as much a community as it is a farm. It was founded in 1980 with the goal of helping disadvantaged youth by incorporating them into a meaningful work environment Il trattore is as much a community as it is a farm. It was founded in 1980 with the goal of helping disadvantaged youth by incorporating them into a meaningful work environment.
- Refugee ScART is project started in August 2011 and help the refugees with their transition and to get a formal job and learn the language, alonf with offer he support of community created by the project. .To sustain themselves, they gather plastic waste throughout Rome and transform it in the most creative pieces of art. In the last 2 years, they have collected more then seven tons of plastic. The products vary from cups, necklaces, and purses to earrings and Christmas decorations. On top of helping the planet by recycling they give it back to society by transforming the waste into useful objects. The refugees receive 100% of the project of all the sales. They not only maintain themselves with this money but they frequently donate the extras to another project called Emergency.
2. Activist organizations/Social groups:
- Democrats Abroad is the overseas branch of the U.S. Democratic Party for the millions of Americans living outside the United States. They work to advance the principles of their Party by spreading the Democratic message to Americans abroad and encouraging them to vote for Democratic candidates back home . Democrats Abroad has committees throughout Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. These Country Committees keep Americans abroad informed of their rights and help them participate in the U.S. political process. A small support office is maintained in Washington, D.C. Democrats Abroad is recognized as a "state" Party by the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and is represented on the DNC by eight voting members, as well as at the quadrennial Democratic National Convention.
- Susan G. Komen Italia is an international branch of a global non-profit organization. The mission of S.G.Komen is to raise money to fight and prevent breast cancer. Their most important event, the Race for the Cure takes place in Rome, Bari, Bologna and Naples.
- Associazione DifferenzaDonna is a non-profit organisation based on understanding and preventing violence against women. It was created in Rome in1989, and has since then been fighting discrimination and violence against females, and confronting this complex social phenomenon. Differenza Donna is supported and recognized by several Italian institutions and throughout the past two decades, Differenza Donna has also grown into an international project, supported by l’Unione Europea, la Cooperazione italiana allo sviluppo, and il Ministero degli Affari Esteri. There are five Differenza Donna centres in Rome, all dedicated to different purposes.
3. Italian and International Private Companies:
- Baker &McKenzie Law Firm first opened its doors in Italy in Milan in 1962, providing clients with in-depth local knowledge and a pioneering global perspective. Today they have more than 100 lawyers in Milan and Rome, serving the largest Italian and multinational corporations in a wide range of industries such as energy, luxury goods, machinery, financial services, information technology and pharmaceuticals.
- IFA Spectrum Group -The Spectrum Independent Financial Advisers group consists of financial advisory groups inItaly, France, Luxemburg, The Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland.The Italy branch is known as Spectrum IFA Italy Group and it caters to English speaking ex-pats now living abroad, and has its headquarters in London. All locations offer a variety of financial services including: investment, international tax issues
- Portolano & Cavallo Law Firm is a law firm that has worked on share and asset transactions, venture capital and private equity investments, company restructurings, corporate governance and conflicts between shareholders. The firm is a member of AIFI (Associazione Italiana del Private Equity e Venture Capital – Italy’s private equity and venture capital association) where the firm participate in the work of the association’s other committees and carry out research on legal issues of interest to the private equity industry.At an international level it is also member of the American Bar Association and the International Bar Association. In the Media sector, the firm has worked on all the most complex and current developments.
- BT Studio Creative Laboratory is a media and marketing agency located in Piazza Bologna wich uses social media and marketing strategies to promote their own products, namely their Iphone applications and newsletters template which were both launched in 2012. . The newletters template called Newsfleet makes it possible for business to reach their customers easily just by dragging and dropping the content to feature into premade templates that can be exported at a click of a mouse.
- Marden Entertainment operates in the entertainment and communication industry at an international level and realizes quality content for cinema, television and new media. Since 200, Marden has realized films, television shows and formats, documentaries, institutional videos and industrial promos for various companies including Discovery Channel International, Mercedes benz, Rai Television, Walt Disney , Sky Cinema etc. They are currently working on the creation of an international youth camp through the association of various education-based NGOs, about which a documentary, eBook, and music video would be produced.
- KINO Produzioni was founded in 2005 and focuses on the production of documentaries, film - and television products. From the the Polisary Front of Western Sahara to the "desplazados" in Colombia, from the stories of the migration in rural West African to the Women Cooperation in Morocco. Kino produzioni grew by telling intimate stories with anthropological and social aspects. Kino is a member of Doc / it (The Italian Documentary Association), and EDN, European Documentary Network.
- Studio UAP (Urban Architecture Project)works mostly on public spaces and participation. Urban projects, architecture and landscape design are the occasions for experimenting models for the introduction of social interaction especially with children and low tech architecture.
- Proactive WorldWide Europe is a research and consulting firm based in Shaumburg, Illinois,that provides decision support services to companies around the world. They have severaloffices lacated in different cities all over the globe. Proactive Europe is based in Rome and covered clients in Europe, Middle East and Africa. Twenty percent of their business is brand protection and the rest is research for business development of their international clients (Consumer Goods, Manufacturing and Industrial services, Financial service, Technology and Telecommunications,Life science and Healtcare).
- Keats-Shelley Museum is a memorial house overlooking the Spanish Steps where Keats lived in early 20th century. The Museum was opened on April 3rd, 1909 by President Theodore Roosvelt and King Edward VII. Over the past century, the libraries collection of books and manuscripts has grown steadily and the Museum is now visited by thousands of scholars,
- Pontificio Istituto di Archeologia Cristiana (P.I.A.C.)is a small graduate institution offering its higher education degree of a PHD in Christina Archaeology to qualified students. Pope Pius XI founded the Institute in Rome in 1925 as a place to pursue scientific research and graduate education in the field of Christian Archaeology. The Institute is located two blocks from the Termini D Station on Via Napoleone III inside a two-story stone exterior and marble interior building. The Institute, which houses an extensive library of 50,000 volumes with an annual increase of 500-600 units, begins its Academic Year in early November starting with the mass of the Holy Spirit at S. Prassede basilica. The P.I.A.C. is part of the Pontifical Universities affiliated to the Holy See.
- SIOI, the Italian Society for International Organization, is a non-profit international organisation that operates under the supervision of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and chaired by Ambassador Umberto La Rocca. SIOI organizes a Master’s Degree Course starting in March 2011 and on ‘Crisis Areas, Security and Intelligence’
- American Academy in Romeis a leading American overseas center for independent studies and advanced research in the fine arts and humanities. The Rome Prize fellowships supports up to thirty artists and scholars who live and work in a congenial atmosphere that breeds collaboration as well as individual achievement. Each year, artists and scholars working in ancient, medieval, Renaissance and early modern; modern Italian studies; architecture, landscape architecture, design, historic preservation and conservation; literature; musical composition; and visual arts are chosen by juries of experts in those field The School of the Classical Studies (founded in 1895 as the American School of Classical Studies in Rome which merged into the Academy in 1913) sponsors conferences and lectures during the course of the year, organizes a series of trips and tours of Rome and Italy for scholars, and participates in a range of archaeological projects.
- Museo delle Arti e tradizioni popolari located in the EUR neighborhood of Rome since 1956 is the only national museum in Italy with a scientific background in ethno-anthropology. With the help of the Ethnographic Exhibition of 1911 in Rome, meant to celebrate the fiftieth birthday of newly united Italy, the collections put together became the foundation for the Rome branch of the this museum, later becoming the Museo Nazionale delle Arti e Tradizioni Popolari. Since its inception, the museum has gone through many different transformations, its most recent in 2008, but while the name may have changed, the museum’s goal has always been the same; to share with others the beauty and importance of Italy and its culture. The current contemporary exhibit is about Italian fashion.
- Museo Carlo Bilotti located in The Villa Borghese’s Orangery is part of The Civic Museum Network (Musei in Comune) .The Museum's permanent collection consists of the gift of 23 works donated by the entrepreneur Carlo Bilotti to the City of Rome, including paintings, drawings and sculptures. The most coherent and central group is made up of 18 works by Giorgio de Chirico .
5. Educational Initiatives:
- Scuola Primaria Pistilli / Scuola media Giovanni XXIII are two public schools , respectively elementary and middle. Both prid themself upon scoring above average on standardized tests than other schools in Lazio and Italy in general. They also make available opportunities such as theater workshops where students can learn to act and perform in a show each year along with other extracurricular activities include a school of cinema.. The schools provide students with the most updated and advanced methods of education. The English language program has also been approved by the Italian Ministry of Education and it consists in hiring American college students in order to teach English to children
- Università Europea di Roma is a private, legally recognized, Catholic University which is part of a big network of universities widespread in many countries throughout the world pertaining to the Legionaries of Christ.. Prof Abbiati, a faculty member of this university was the curator for2013 TEDx event.( TEDxViadellaConciliazione: Religious Freedom Today )and in 2014 "Voices of Faith," a forum advocating for more women's leadership in the Catholic church, and "ABC: Thinking of Sports," for raising awareness of the beneficial values which sports promote.
- IET Independent English Theatre is a professional, English-speaking theatre company based in Rome, with a commitment to producing high quality theatre, encouraging diverse genre of theatre, integrating and exploring cultures, offering audiences plays in their original language and developing knowledge og English language. The BritishEmbassy and Pupi Avati, Italian director, are IET patrons.