Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

John Felice Rome Center-OLD

Visiting Students

All U.S. nationals who will reside in Italy longer than 90 days must have a visa from an Italian Consulate in the U.S.  Therefore, every semester- or year-long student is required to obtain a study visa unless he or she is a citizen of a country of the European Union.  In such a case, the student must possess a valid passport for that country.  If a student is a dual citizen of an EU country and of the USA, then he or she must hold valid passports for both countries.

Summer Students who are USA or EU citizens do not need a study visa.  All other non-US, non-EU citizens should check with the Italian consulate to apply for a visa.

**Only after you are accepted to the JFRC and you have confirmed your intent to enroll will you receive instructions from our Chicago team on how and when to apply for your study visa. 

Visiting students are invited to participate in pre-departure orientations and visa workshops scheduled for Loyola University Chicago students through an on-line connection. Visiting students will be e-mailed instructions specifying dates and times to log on.

During 2014, orientation / workshop dates are

**Failure to secure a study visa prior to your departure for Italy will mean dismissal from the program.

Citizens of all non-EU countries must acquire a study visa; consequently all USA citizens need a visa and should read carefully through this entire message before taking any action.  Questions should be addressed to rome@luc.edu

NOTE:  Visas to other countries which require them may be obtained in Rome or in the United States, although it may be easier to obtain these before departure.

Study Visa Procedure

Before starting the visa application process, please do the following:

Once you have selected the consulate to which you plan to apply, go to its website; just Google "Italian consulate in _________ (name of city)" and you should be able to get the link to its home page.  Once you are on the consulate's home page, click the link in the upper right-hand corner to change the language to "English," then click onto "Visas" in the appropriate column.

READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY. Most consulates will require you to make an appointment; you cannot just walk in and apply for a visa.  Schedule now even if your appointment is for a month from now. You should also be able to go to one of your consulate's branch locations to have all your documents notarized, then mail everything to the primary consulate for processing, but you will still need an appointment with the consular representative.

**Please note that each consulate is different.  Students applying for a visa from a consulate other than the Chicago consulate should read through the above and check with the specific consulate they are applying through to see if they need any other documentation.

When you are ready to fill out the visa application, locate "Forms" on the consulate's website; select "National Visa Application (Long-Term Visa, more than 90 days)."  Complete pages one and two of the form; you should be able to type directly onto the form.  You will need both your passport and your itinerary in order to answer specific questions; your passport for questions #13, #14, #15, #16, and your itinerary for questions # 23, #29, and #30.

The answer to question #24: Multiple Entries

All students must coordinate preparation of their documentation for the study visa with the Rome Center's Chicago Office. Consulates require that a student appear in person so it is imperative that visa applicants communicate early and frequently with the Rome Center Office to be sure that they are not lacking any credentials before they go in person to their respective consulate. Many consulates also have satellite offices at which students may present themselves; these locations are listed on the consulate's website.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Any non-U.S. citizens participating in the Rome Center program are advised to obtain all the necessary information concerning visa requirements of countries they plan to visit in addition to Italy. Often the procedures are easier, faster and more economical if completed in the United States. Updated information is usually available at their consular offices.

A student who is not a U.S.A., Canadian, or E.U. citizen and who does not carry a U.S.A., Canadian, or E.U. passport should keep in mind that, even though planning to travel with an officially- sponsored Loyola group, he or she may encounter obstacles -- may in fact be denied permission to travel -- from officials for other countries if the student has not obtained all the necessary visas for his or her particular citizenship status.

Permission to Reside in Rome (permesso di soggiorno)

Under Italian law, all foreigners must obtain permission to live in Rome (the permesso di soggiorno) within eight days of arrival. The John Felice Rome Center staff will assist students in the application process upon their arrival at the Rome Center. Students must show the study visa stamp inside their passport to apply for the residency permit.  The required fees cover a tax stamp (€14,62), electronic notification (€107,50), and a postal handling charge (€30,00). A total of $200 is billed on a student's account to cover these fees.

Upon arrival at the JFRC, be sure to have this documentation with you for your permesso di soggiorno:

Two copies of the official letter are initially provided to each student to submit with the visa application. The Italian Consulate will notarize one and return it with the student's passport and visa stamp. Failure to bring this notarized letter may result in dismissal from the program.

Inoculation Certificate

There are no vaccinations required for travelers to Western Europe. However, certain vaccinations may be required for persons traveling to Eastern Europe, Africa, and Middle Eastern countries. It is wise to check the regulations of countries in which students intend to travel. It is suggested that students consult with their physicians regarding routine inoculations when having the Medical History Report completed.


John Felice Rome Center · Sullivan Center for Student Services· 6339 N. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660
Mailing Address: 1032 W. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60660
800.344.ROMA · rome@luc.edu

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy