What is Post-Graduate Volunteer Service?
All of us are called to serve our community throughout our lives. For some of us, committing to a full year or two of service after college is a great way to practice that commitment. Ever heard of Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC)? AmeriCorps? Those -- and many more -- are all post-graduate volunteer programs.
Post-graduate volunteer programs offer people the opportunity to commit an extended period of time to serving communities in need. From a few months to 2 years, you can volunteer your talents to full time! These programs help you give to your community, but they also help you build skills, explore a possible career, gain experience, and deepen your faith.
Thinking of ways that service can be part of your life after you graduate? You've got options! Feel free to contact Community Service and Action for a conversation about the many ways you can serve. We have great resources to aid your search. Plus, all of our staff have done full-time service and are glad to share our own stories.
Where Do I start?
Begin your discernment of post-graduate volunteer opportunities by thinking about the following questions
- Why do I want to volunteer after I graduate? What motivates me?
- Where do I want to volunteer?
- What kind of community would I want to join through a service commitment?
- What skills could I offer, and what skills would I hope to develop?
- Do I want to live in community or on my own?
- What support will I need to be successful?
What Programs Exist?
Post-grad volunteer programs abound! And many Loyola alumni/a can share with you their positive experiences with various volunteer programs. There are a few resources to help you explore post-grad volunteer programs:
- Every fall, we offer post-graduate volunteer fair where you can meet representatives from different programs.
- Our office carries many materials from different programs for you to browse. Two web resources we recommend are
- Want to have a representative come to talk from a particular program? Contact us.
- CSA staff regularly meets one-on-one with students thinking about service opportunities. Contact us to set up an appointment, no matter if you just want to know more or are ready to start applying!
Fall 2016 Post-Graduate Volunteer Fair
September 26, 2-5pm, Damen MPR South
Come meet representatives from around 30 service organizations at this annual fair! Join us in the Damen Student Center MPR South (second floor) between 2-5pm on Monday, September 26. Learn about various programs and explore your options. You can also speak with CSA staff members to learn more about service and to ask questions about how it all works!
Contact CSA at email@example.com to meet one-on-one to learn about resources that can help your search for post-graduate service. We'll discuss your motivations, questions, and concerns about serving full-time after you graduate. And we'll discuss resources to help you discern if full-time service is for you!
Post-Graduate Volunteer Send-Off
Graduating seniors who have committed to full-time service after they graduate are invited to this send-off event each May! Gather with friends and supporters for a prayer service and reception before you head off to serve with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, AmeriCorps, or other full-time service programs.
Community Service and Action will invite students who tell us they are participating in post-graduate service. If you are one of those great students, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure we have your contact information!