Faculty & Staff Directory
Aaron Greer, M.F.A
Title/s: Associate Professor
Program Director Film and Digital Media Program
Office #: School of Communication 203
CV Link: GreerVita13.pdf
Aaron Greer joined the new School of Communication and the Communication Studies program as Assistant Professor in Digital Cinema and Media Production in Fall 2008. Promoted to Associate Professor in 2011, Greer was named program director for Film and Digital Media Studies Program in 2012.
As a filmmaker Greer has developed a diverse professional portfolio, from feature-films, to documentaries, to experimental and web-shorts.
Greer is currently producting a web-series called Gettin' Grown TV, which plays into pre-teen boys' love of the internet by including viewer generated content and giving users the ability to re-edit parts of the show.
MFA Film and Media Arts Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa. , 2002
BA History, Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.,1996. Magna Cum Laude.
- Tweenage film/TV.
- Multi-platform, interactive and transmedia film.
- African-American film/TV (representation on film).
- Dance, theater and music (performing arts) on film.
Professional & Community Affiliations
University Film and Video Association
Broadcast Education Association
Independent Film Project - Chicago
Introduction to Cinema, Screenwriting, Screen Directing, Advanced Post-Production, Film History, Film Genre, Music Video Produciton, and Introduction to Video Production
Broadcast Education Association, Best of Competition (Educational Video), 2013
Chicago Digital Media Production Grant, 2012
Broadcast Education Association, 2nd Place Debut Paper Research Competition, 2010
Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa, Visual Artist of the Year, 2007
Alabama State Council on the Arts, Media Fellowship Award, 2005
Audience Choice Award Winner for “Gettin’ Grown,” Milwaukee International Festival 2004
- “Ten Tips for Shooting Video” – video tutorial (writer/director/editor)
BEA Best in Competition Educational Video, 2013
- “V-Day: 11/11/11” – documentary film (associate producer)
broadcast on 10 PBS stations
- “Gettin’ Grown TV” – web-series (writer/producer/director)
American Black Film Festival, 2012
WorldKids International Film Festival (India), 2012
- “Spare Change” – short film (director/editor)
Wisconsin Film Festival, 2011
Milwaukee Film Festival, 2010
- “Hers.Theirs.Ours.” – short film (writer/producer/director)
Reeling Chicago Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, 2010
- “Neither Color Blind, Nor Near Sighted: Representation, Race and the Role of the Academic Filmmaker.” In Bernardi, D. (Ed.) Filming Difference. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2009.
- “A Night in the Theater” – documentary/educational film (co-producer/director)
distributed/published by Insight Media, 2007.
- “Flying Away” – documentary video (producer/director/editor)
Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival, 2007
Broadcast on 2-dozen PBS stations
- “Fruit of the Tree” – feature screenplay (co-writer)
Grand Prize from Wisconsin Screenwriters’ Forum, 2009
Best Screenplay, University Film and Video Association, 2008
Tribeca All Access (Tribeca Film Festival), 2007
- “Gettin’ Grown” – feature film (writer/director/editor)
distributed by Warner Brothers Home Video
Tribeca Film Festival
American Black Film Festival