Faculty & Staff Directory
Marjorie Kruvand, Ph.D.
Title/s: Associate Professor
Office #: School of Communication 211
E-mail: mkruvand AT luc DOT edu
CV Link: Kruvand CV Internal 2013.pdf
Marjorie Kruvand has been a faculty member in the Advertising and Public Relations program since 2008. She brings to Loyola more than three decades of experience in journalism, public relations, and academia.
Previously, Dr. Kruvand was a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch; a senior vice president and partner at Fleishman-Hillard, one of the world’s largest public relations agencies; and an assistant professor of Journalism at Northeastern University in Boston. She was also a Knight Science Journalism Fellow at MIT and a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow at the University of California Santa Barbara
Ph.D., Missouri School of Journalism, University of Missouri
M.S., Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University
B.A. in Political Science, Washington University in St. Louis
Dr. Kruvand’s areas of research specialization include health and science communication, mass communication of bioethical issues, the use of expert sources, and dynamics between public relations practitioners and journalists. Topics she has examined include face transplants, the birth control pill, synthetic biology, stem cell research, and end-of-life care. Her research has been published in Public Relations Review, Science Communication, Journal of Mass Media Ethics, American Journalism, and the Newspaper Research Journal. Dr. Kruvand has also presented peer-reviewed research papers at the annual conferences of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, National Communication Association, and International Communication Association.
- COMM 210 – Principles of Public Relations
- COMM 278 – International Public Relations
- COMM 314 – Public Relations Cases and Strategies
- COMM 318 – Public Relations Writing
- COMM 320 – Public Service Communication
- COMM 370 – Health Communication
- COMM 386 – Advertising/Public Relations Capstone
- Kruvand, M. (forthcoming). “Science and Humanity in the Era of Synthetic Life: How the News Media Cover Synthetic Biology.” Journal of Communication and Linguistic Studies, 2013.
- Kruvand, M. (2012). “The Pill at 50: Coverage of the Birth Control Pill in The New York Times, 1960‑2010.” American Journalism, 24(4), 34-67.
- Kruvand, M. (2012). “‘Dr. Soundbite’: The Making of an Expert Source in Science and Medical Stories.” Science Communication, 34(5) 566–591.
- Kruvand, M., and Vanacker, B. (2011). “Facing the Future: Media Ethics, Bioethics, and the World’s First Face Transplant.” Journal of Mass Media Ethics, 26(2), 135‑157.
- Kruvand, M. (2011). “Working with the News Media in Public Communication.” In C. Glen Mayhall (ed.), Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control (4th ed.), pp. 190‑209. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Kruvand, M. (2010). “Face to Face: How the Cleveland Clinic Managed Media Relations for the First U.S. Face Transplant.” Public Relations Review, 36(4), 367‑375.
- Kruvand, M. (2009). “Bioethicists as Expert Sources in Science and Medical Reporting.” Newspaper Research Journal, 30(3), 26-41.
- Kruvand, M., and Hwang, S. (2007). “From Revered to Reviled: A Cross-Cultural Narrative Analysis of the South Korean Cloning Scandal.” Science Communication, 29(2), 177-197.