|Maria Vidal de Haymes, Ph.D.|
|Title:||Full Professor, Director of the Institute of Migration and Global Studies in Practice in Social Work|
|Office #:||Lewis Towers 1241|
Dr. Vidal de Haymes received her Masters Degree from the University of Chicago in 1987 and her Ph.D. from Ohio State University in 1991. Dr. Vidal de Haymes joined the faculty of Loyola University-Chicago in 1992, where she is currently a Professor in the School of Social Work. In 2002 Dr. Vidal received the distinction of Loyola Faculty Scholar and in 2003 she received the Pe?ommunity Service Award from the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services for her work in child welfare. Dr. Vidal de Haymes teaches courses in areas of social welfare policy, community organizing, and race and ethnicity. She has published research concerning the economic and political incorporation of Latino immigrants in the U.S., child welfare, and social work education and she has been the primary investigator on a number of national and state grants focused on child welfare practice with children and families of color. Dr. Vidal de Haymes serves as a consultant to numerous local and state agencies and serves on the board of several Latino community-based organizations and the editorial board of the Journal of Poverty.
Recent Faculty Scholarship:
• Dettlaff, A. Vidal de Haymes, M., Velazquez, S., Mindell, R., and Bruce, L, (Forthcoming). Emerging Issues in the Intersection of Immigration and Child Welfare: Results from a Transnational Research and Policy Forum. Child Welfare.
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria (Forthcoming). Tendiendo un puente Entre Organizaciones, Comunidades, y Fronteras Nacionales para atender a las Necesidades de Protección de la Menores de Familias Inmigrantes en el Estado estadounidense de Illinois. Trabajo Social, Revista Trimestral de la Escuela Nacional de Trabajo Social. La Universidad Autónoma De México.
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria (2008). Cuban Americans. Encyclopedia of Social Work, 20th edition, NASW Press/Oxford University Press.
Recent Faculty Grants:
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria. (September 2008-October 2010). “Families in Transition: A Study of the Impact of Cross-National Relocation on Mexican Family Well-Being”. Funded by the Lois and Samuel Silberman Fund Faculty Grant Program .
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria. (February 2008-January 2009). “Supporting Families in an Era of Globalization: Aligning Social Worker Education and Human Service Systems with Contemporary Transnational Population Trends”. Funded by the International Association of Schools of Social Work.
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria (October 2007 – October 2008). “Immigrant Integration in Europe and North America: A Multinational Study”. Grant from the CeiMigra Foundation (Studies Centre for Migrant's Social Integration and Training), a joint public and private foundation leaded by the Society of Jesus in Spain and the Valencian Regional Government.
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria, Polanco Hernández, Graciela, and Valdés Montoya, Vladimiro (July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2008). “Faith and the Catholic Church as Protective Factors for Mexican Migrant Families: a Transnational Study”. Funded by Global Initiatives Incentive Fund 2008 from the Graduate School.
• Vidal de Haymes, Maria, Polanco Hernández, Graciela, and Valdés Montoya, Vladimiro (July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2008) “La Fe y la Iglesia Católica como factores de Protección para las Familias Migrantes”, Un Estudio Transnacional Universidad Iberoamericana-Santa Fe, Dirección de Investigación (July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2008).