Advanced School Mental Health Certificate
The learning goals for the ASMHPP are:
- To help School Based Mental Health Practitioners (SBMHP) further assist student clients in succeeding academically by teaching SBMHP evidence-informed methods to foster positive psychosocial development of their students.
- To enhance the overall sense of well being in school communities by strengthening SBMHP collaborations between students, families, faculty and communities, including the delivery of effective interventions across all three tiers of the RTI and PBIS models.
- To train SBMHP to implement strength-based interventions in their practice, specifically interventions rooted in solution-focused brief therapy models and some of the ongoing solution-focused research being carried out at the FSPP.
- To reshape school practice by training school based mental health professionals to provide more systemic, whole school interventions and more efficiently meet students’ needs.
- To provide a cutting-edge program for school based mental health professionals to learn how to become more data-driven and evidence-informed in their school mental health practice.
Length of Program. The program begins in the Fall semester (August) and can be completed in 2 years full time, or students can complete courses at their own pace, as long as the program is completed within 5 years from the start date.
Curriculum. This program consists of 15 credit hours, including two synchronous courses and two required asynchronous online courses, and one hybrid elective class (combining online learning and a weekend Education Immersion experience) in Advanced School Mental Health Practice.
Application Instructions - Due July 1st
The U.S. Department of Education requires any institution offering distance education/online programs to students outside of its home state to acquire authorization from the states in which students reside. Regulations vary from state to state. While Loyola University Chicago is authorized, exempt or pursuing authorization in most states, some restrictions apply. Please see our State Authorization page for the most up-to-date information.