Who Can Get Credit?
- Traditional students who are admitted UNCONDITIONALLY can apply for transfer credit for SOCIAL WORK courses from a CSWE accredited program.
- Advanced Standing students can also apply, but because they obtain credits for their first year of course work essentially when they are admitted to advanced standing, the number of credits we will consider is more limited and is generally not greater than two SOCIAL WORK courses from a CSWE accredited program.
- Students transferring from CSWE accredited MSW graduate programs can apply for credit for SOCIAL WORK courses completed.
*If you are admitted on probation, you are not eligible for transfer credit regardless of earned grades.
What Courses Count?
A. UNDERGRADUATE COURSE CREDIT
- You CAN obtain credit for SOCIAL WORK courses from CSWE accredited programs at the Bachelor’s IF you were a social work major.
- You CANNOT obtain credit for courses in other disciplines such as Psychology, Sociology or Human Services, even if the content was similar.
- You CANNOT obtain credit for courses in SOCIAL WORK if you were NOT a social work major.
B. GRADUATE COURSE CREDIT
- You CAN obtain credit for SOCIAL WORK courses from a CSWE accredited program at the Master’s level if this was your degree program.
- You CAN obtain credit for NON-SOCIAL WORK courses in another discipline IF those courses did not count toward your degree (they were electives) and they relate to social work. The courses will count as electives in our social work program.
- You CANNOT obtain credit for NON-SOCIAL WORK courses in another discipline IF those courses were required for your degree.
- You must have obtained a B or higher in the course to get credit.
- Courses at Community Colleges do not count as those are NOT CSWE accredited programs.
- Credits awarded for NON-SOCIAL WORK courses in another discipline (electives) are limited to 6 credit hours.
How and When to Seek Credit
- Newly admitted MSW students have three days from their acceptance into Loyola University Chicago School of Social Work (SSW) to request transfer credit for work completed at a previous accredited college or university.
- Students must submit a transcript (official or unofficial) and course description or syllabus for each course that they are requesting transfer credit consideration for.
- Students can submit their transfer credit requests electronically to MSWTransferCredit@luc.edu
or send a fax to 312-915-7090, Attn: Academic Advisor Coordinator.
- The review process can take up to 30-45 days. An email will be sent to student's Loyola email address informing them of the outcome.