Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

School of Social Work

Undergraduate FAQ's

BSW: Frequently Asked Questions

Will all my classes from other schools transfer to Loyola?
Loyola attempts to honor courses from other universities by allowing those courses to transfer into Loyola either as a CORE requirement or elective. Transfer guides have been developed for local community colleges and may be accessed by on-line.

Will social work classes from other schools transfer into the social work program?
Social work classes taken at other schools will be reviewed to determine their status at Loyola.

Where are classes held?
The majority of classes for the CORE curriculum and general electives are held on the Lake Shore Campus.  School of Social Work classes are held at the Water Tower Campus.

When are classes held?
There are generally both day and evening sections of required classes. Several BSW classes also have “on-line” sections conducted through Blackboard.

When do I start taking social work classes?
SOWK 200 (Introduction) and SOWK 201 (Social Policy I) can be taken in the freshman and/or sophomore year. The majority of social work required courses are taken in the junior and senior years.

Where do I go for advising?
Freshman and first semester sophomores have advisors at the Sullivan Center. Second semester sophomores, juniors and seniors who have been formally accepted into the BSW program have advisors in the School of Social Work.

Can I study abroad and also be a BSW major?
Social work majors can study abroad but must carefully plan so that they can maintain the sequence of required courses. It is rarely possible to study abroad the senior year due to the field placement requirement.

Can I double-major with social work?
Many social work majors have another major and/or minor. Each department in the university maintains their own requirements and the requirements of both major must be fulfilled.

Are their scholarships available for BSWs?
Undergraduate scholarships and work study programs are managed through the office of financial aid.

What is the 5-year Program?
The 5-year program is open to BSW majors with at least a 3.0 GPA. Application is generally made in the second semester of the junior year. If accepted, the student begins taking graduate level courses in the senior year by trading undergraduate courses for graduate courses. After graduation the student then enters the second year of the MSW program the following fall semester.


School of Social Work · 820 North Michigan Avenue, Lewis Towers 1200, Chicago, IL 60611 · 312.915.7005

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy