Excerpted from the Loyola University Chicago Emergency Response Plan for Lakeside Campuses.
- Faculty and staff are asked to assist persons with disabilities during building evacuations.
- It is suggested that persons who use a wheelchair or persons with a physical disability prepare for an emergency ahead of time by informing faculty, staff or classmates on how to assist him/her in case of evacuation.
- The SSWD Staff, Human Resources and the Faculty Administration Security will provide Campus Safety with a list of known students, staff and faculty requiring assistance during building evacuations. The list will include the person's office, classrooms and/or residence hall locations during different times of the day.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this evacuation procedure, contact us or the director of Campus Safety.
- During a building evacuation, assist persons with disabilities by helping them move to the nearest marked exit. A person who uses a wheelchair or a person with a physical disability may use the building elevator, but never in the case of a fire or an explosion.
- During a fire, assist persons with disabilities to the nearest stairwell and help them exit the building. If the person's disability prevents you from helping them exit the building, then you should assist them to the nearest emergency phone and call Campus Safety at: 4-4911, to inform them of the person's exact location. If you cannot locate an emergency phone, then assist them to the nearest sanctuary point.
- Sanctuary points are identified on each building evacuation diagram, and are generally located in stairwell landings. They are designated as safe locations because of their fire protection factor. During building evacuations, these areas will be checked first by Campus Safety and/or Facilities staff. Do not leave a person inside a stairwell that has smoke in it.
- After leaving a person with a disability at a sanctuary point, you should exit the building and immediately contact Campus Safety at: 4-4911 or by using the nearest one button yellow emergency phone and inform them of the location of the person.
- The Campus Safety telecommunicator, upon receiving the notification that a person with a disability who is in need of assistance, will direct officers and/or Facilities staff to that location.