Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

Services for Students with Disabilities


Student FAQs

General Questions

  • What is Services for Students with Disabilities (SSWD)?
  • Who is eligible for services through SSWD?
  • What is the best way to schedule an appointment with an SSWD staff member?
  • Are all students with disabilities registered with SSWD?


  • Will anyone know about my disability and accommodations?
  • Is a student required to submit any documentation regarding his/her disability to faculty and staff other than SSWD?


  • How do I get tested for a learning disability or ADHD/ADD?
  • How do I document a disability?
  • Is my Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan sufficient documentation to register with SSWD?
  • How current does my disability documentation need to be?
  • Is a doctor's statement on a prescription note sufficient documentation?


  • Will I receive the same services that I received in high school?
  • What is an appropriate accommodation/service?
  • When can a student request accommodations?
  • I'm a new student. How much time will it take to determine my eligibility for accommodations?
  • Do you provide accommodations for students with temporary disabilities?
  • Do I have to renew my accommodations each semester?                                     Yes. Students must notify SSWD of any accommodation needs each semester. Once a student has an accommodation letter, it is his/her responsibility to notify SSWD of any changes to their schedule. Accommodations are not retroactive and begin once the student provides the accommodation letter to their instructor.

Housing Accommodations

  • How do I request housing accommodations or an exemption from housing?
  • When should I request housing accommodations or an exemption to the on-campus housing requirement?
  • When is a decision made regarding my request?

Faculty FAQs

General Questions

  • What is Services for Students with Disabilities (SSWD)?
  • How do I know if a student is registered with SSWD?
  • When is a student required to notify me of a need for accommodations?
  • Am I allowed to request disability documentation from a student for any reason?
  • A student is having difficulty in my class, and I think he/she may have a disability. What can I do to help?
  • A student with a disability is currently failing my class. May I fail him/her?
  • A student has informed me that he/she has a disability and requires accommodations. He/she did not give me an accommodation letter. Should I provide accommodations?
  • Does providing accommodations for disabled students give them an advantage over other students in my class?


Services for Students with Disabilities
Sullivan Center for Student Services · 6339 N. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660
Mailing Address: 1032 W. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60660
Phone: 773.508.3700 · Fax: 773.508.3810
TTY: 773.508.2771

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy