A passport is an internationally recognized travel document detailing an individual’s identity and nationality. A valid U.S. passport is required for nearly all international travel, and can only be issued, renewed, or verified by the U.S. Department of State.
- National Passport Information Center (NPIC) 877.487.2778 toll free or email at www.NPIC@state.gov
Passport Acceptance Facilities Near Loyola
- USPS Passport Acceptance – 3401 W. Devon Ave. 773.463.1211
- Uptown Station Post Office – 4850 N. Broadway 773.561.4847
- Evanston City Clerk (checks/MOs only) – 2100 Ridge Ave.
- USPS Evanston – 1101 Davis St. 847.328.6288
- Chicago City Clerk’s Office – 121 N. LaSalle St. room 107
- Circuit Court Clerk (Cook Co) – 50 W. Washington room 202
- Fort Dearborn USPO – 540 N. Dearborn St. 800.ASK.USPS
- Ontario Street Station P.O. – 227 E. Ontario St. 800.275.8777
First Time Applicants
General Procedure: these items must be brought with you to the Passport Facility
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship – Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate.
- Proof of Identity – You may submit items containing your signature and physical description or a photograph that is a good likeness of you such as: previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, driver’s license (not temporary or learners), or government employee identification card or pass.
- Two Recent, Color Photographs – Submit two color photographs of you alone, sufficiently recent to be a good likeness of you (normally taken within the last six months), and 2x2 inches in size. To obtain the photos near Loyola’s Lake Shore campus, you could go to either Osco Drug (Broadway and Granville) or Walgreen’s (Broadway).
- Fees – The passport processing fee is $55, the application execution fee is $30, and the security surcharge is $12, therefore your total cost for the passport will be $97.
- At the Passport Facility you will complete the application for a U.S. Passport.
- You can also download a passport application on line at www.travel.state.gov . This application is to be filled out and brought with you to the Passport Facility. Passports are not issued online.
- If your passport needs to be expedited, additional costs will be incurred.
- Please realize that the “Procedure” listed above is considerably simplified. For more detailed instructions refer to the resources listed.
If you need to renew your passport, you can do so by mail. This application can also be downloaded off the U.S. government website. However, please refer to the www.travel.state.gov website for further directions since some restrictions apply.