On behalf of Loyola University Chicago’s new Institute of Environmental Sustainability, I would like to welcome students, faculty, staff, business partners, academic collaborators, and alumni. This new Institute is committed to developing responsible solutions, in the service of humanity, to environmental problems. Some of the Institute’s highlights include:
- Our programs are steeped in the Jesuit traditions of academic excellence, service to others, action orientation, and responsiveness to today’s societal problems. They are uniquely designed to provide a rich liberal arts education while preparing our students for successful careers.
- Our faculty represent the best and the brightest with a passion for new discovery through research, education, and mentorship.
- Our Office of Sustainability is decreasing our campus’s environmental footprint, making Loyola among the most energy efficient campuses in the US.
- The new state-of-the-art, LEED certified Institute facility features an adjoining residence hall, greenhouse, aquaponics facilities, biodiesel lab, collaborative research labs and the largest geothermal facility in the Chicago region.
- The Loyola University Retreat and Ecology Campus (LUREC), located 50 miles from Chicago, has a student-run organic farm and over 70 acres of forest and wetland that are prime outdoor classrooms for learning about nature in nature and practicing land management, conservation, and restoration techniques.
I hope you will consider participating in the exciting new academic and campus programs of the Institute of Environmental Sustainability.
Nancy C. Tuchman, PhD., Founding Director
The Institute of Environmental Sustainability
Loyola University Chicago