Recyclemania is a national competition between among universities to measure and compare recycling over an eight-week period. Loyola has competed in Recyclemania since 2009. During the contest, we encourage everyone -- students, staff and faculty -- to PITCH IN! Not sure about what is recyclable or not? The Loyola Recycling Team is out and about on both lakeside campuses to help you learn the best recycling practices.
The ultimate goal of this program is to improve the campus recycling program year-round through a combination of efficient placement of bins, educational signs and most importantly - teaching everyone best recycling practices.
Loyola will participate in Recyclemania 2013. Check back for more details.
Loyola competed in the Gorilla category, recycling weights and we ranked:
102 out of 296 schools competing in this category
In 2012, the national RecycleMania organizing body calculated Loyola's reduction of various environmental impacts as a result of our commitment to recycling. Check out the benefits of recycling:
Reduced 193 Metric Tons of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere
Loyola's recycling during the eight weeks is equivalent to 103 cars off the road
Loyola ranked 73 out of 363 higher education institutions in the Gorilla category
For 2010, Loyola competed in the Gorilla category, recycling weights. As a result the 2010 RecycleMania competition was a success. And we exceeded our 2009 ranking!
- Loyola ranked 79 out of 346 colleges and universities that competed in the Gorilla category
- Loyola placed third out of 14 Illinois higher education institutions
- Loyola ranked fourth out of seven institutions in the Horizon League
- Loyola ranked 146 out of 293 schools in the Gorilla category, weights for recyclables
- Loyola ranked second out of four schools in the Horizon League
- Loyola ranked fourth out of nine Illinois institutions
Contact the Consumption Reduction and Recycling Advisory Committee at email@example.com to learn how your department or student group can take ACTION year-round!
- Sorting Recyclables Competition
- A Trash & Recyclable Audit