Influenza (flu) Information
Influenza (the flu) is a contagious viral infection of the respiratory tract (nose, throat, bronchial tubes, and lungs). People often use the term "flu" to describe a variety of mild illnesses, such as a cold or a stomach virus that has symptoms like the flu. But real flu is different. Flu hits hard and fast; its symptoms are usually worse and last longer than a cold.
If you have the flu your symptoms may be mild or more severe. You may feel some or all of these symptoms:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Possibly vomiting and/or diarrhea
There are 2 actions you can take to prevent and fight the flu:
Get a flu vaccine
CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against the flu. Vaccines are available at many locations, including the Wellness Center. Services at the Wellness Center are for current students only. Click here to make a Wellness Center appointment for a free flu vaccine and here for additional locations near Loyola and in the Chicagoland area.
People who are at high risk of developing complications are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated. High risk groups are:
- Pregnant women
- People who have a chronic condition like asthma, diabetes, or heart and lung disease
- People age 65 and older
Stop the spread of germs
- Wash hands thoroughly and frequently.
- Cover your cough and sneeze
- Avoid close contact with sick people if possible
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.) Go here if you want to know how to take care of yourself.
- CVS Pharmacy, 6510 North Sheridan Road, Chicago, 773-338-4384
- CVS Pharmacy, 6150 North Broadway, Chicago, 773-274-9337
- Morse L Drugs, 1407 West Morse Ave, Chicago, 773-743-8400
- Dominicks, 6009 N. Broadway Ave, Chicago, 773-769-1259
Flu Shots Near Water Tower Campus
- Walgreens, 933 North State Street, Chicago, 312-943-0671
- Walgreens, 201 East Huron Street #1-210, Chicago, Galter Pavilion, 312-951-1084
- Dominicks, 255 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, 312-279-1305
For a full list of free flu clinics in the Chicagoland area, click here.