Video

Watch the Wolf + Kettle Video

LEARN MORE

Wolf and Kettle Day

On March 29, 2017, Loyola will celebrate its annual Wolf and Kettle Day. It will take place at both the Damen Student Center (LSC) and the Schreiber Center (WTC) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

This symbolic day represents the point in the academic year when tuition runs out and support from generous donors begins. Tuition at Loyola only covers about 70 percent of what it costs to educate one student for an entire year. The other 30 percent is made possible through the support of our generous donors. The day was created to not only educate students about the legend of the Wolf and Kettle but also celebrate the generosity of our donors.

At both the Lake Shore Campus and the Water Tower Campus, students are treated to free popcorn, given coupons for use at local businesses (good that day only), and offered a chance to write thank-you notes to donors.

TRADITION

Our tradition of giving dates back many centuries to the Basque country of Spain. Legend has it that the Loyola family was so generous that after feeding family and soldiers, they had enough food to feed the animals.  This act of giving is represented by the two wolves and kettle depicted on Loyola’s shield. The generosity of the Loyola family is still present today through the donors of the University.

Nearly 2,000 students came out to celebrate generosity for the University’s first Wolf and Kettle Day in 2011. In 2012, Loyola dedicated a new Wolf and Kettle statue, Los Lobos de Loyola, at a special ceremony on Wolf and Kettle Day. This day has been a huge success and has become an important tradition at Loyola.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Want to get updates and see the action from Wolf and Kettle Day? Check out our Facebook and Instagram pages. Follow and use the hashtags #LUWOLFANDKETTLE#CELEBRATEGENEROSITY, and #THANKYOUDONORS to be a part of it all.