Loyola University Chicago

- Navigation -

Loyola University Chicago

Wolf + Kettle Council

Wolf and Kettle Day

Celebrate Generosity

In Spring 2014, Loyola will celebrate the fourth annual Wolf and Kettle Day. This symbolic day represents the point in the academic year when tuition runs out and support from generous donors begins. Tuition at Loyola only covers 70 percent of what it costs to educate one student for an entire year; the other 30 percent is made possible through the support of our generous donors.  The day was created to not only educate students about the legend of the Wolf and Kettle but also to celebrate the generosity of our donors!

 

Our tradition of giving dates back many centuries to the Basque country of Spain. Legend has it that the Loyola family was so generous that after feeding family and soldiers, they had enough food to feed the animals.  This act of giving is represented by the two wolves and kettle depicted on Loyola’s shield. The generosity of the Loyola family is still present today through the donors of the university.

 

Nearly 2,000 students came out to celebrate generosity for the University’s first Wolf and Kettle Day in 2011. In 2012, Loyola dedicated a new Wolf and Kettle statue, Los Lobos de Loyola, at a special ceremony on Wolf and Kettle Day. In 2013 we celebrated Wolf and Kettle Day in the new Damen Student Center. This day has been a huge success and has quickly become a new tradition at Loyola.

Want to follow the action on Wolf and Kettle Day via Twitter? Use #LUCWKD to get the most up-to-date news.

Loyola

1032 W. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660 · 773.508.3500

Notice of Non-discriminatory Policy