Masters Dual-Degree with Theology
Loyola University Chicago offers a unique opportunity for masters students to pursue simultaneous degrees in Theology and Women's Studies and Gender Studies. Working on both MA degrees together allows students to complete these degrees more quickly by taking courses that carry credit in both fields. The program requirements of each existing MA are fulfilled in the Dual MA program of 36 semester hours.
This dual degree program enables students to experience the many intersections between advanced study in Theology and Women’s and Gender Studies, drawing from the strengths of faculty in both disciplines in the areas of women, gender, sexuality, religion, and ethics. Loyola University Chicago is the only Jesuit university that offers a graduate degree in Women’s Studies.
As with all dual degree programs, students interested in the dual degree must apply simultaneously to both Theology and Women's Studies and Gender Studies and be admitted to both MA programs based on their separate criteria. The same criteria for admission will be applied to students who are pursuing a dual degree program as for all other students in each of the programs.
When students have been admitted to both Theology and Women’s Studies and Gender Studies, they may then apply for the dual degree program via the liaisons for each program. Students will work with both graduate program directors to arrange to complete the requirements for both programs and to coordinate scheduling. It is possible to obtain both degrees two years or less, but some students may choose to extend the program as needed, depending on their personal situation, special interests, and course offerings.
Required Courses and Examination:
- WSGS 401: History of Feminist Thought: 1790–1970 (3 credits)
- WSGS 402: Foundations of Women’s Studies (3 credits)
- WSGS 450: Global Feminisms or a globally-related course (3 credits)
- WSGS 498: Practicum (3 credits)
- THEO: Two courses in Bible: one Old Testament, one New Testament (6 credits)*
- THEO: Two courses in Systematic/Historical Theology (6 credits)*
- THEO: Two courses in Christian Ethics (6 credits)*
- WSGS: Two cross-listed (any department except Theology with WSGS) graduate courses (6 credits)
- Joint MA examination (0 credits)
- *Three of the six courses in Theology (preferably one each in Bible, Systematic/Historical, Ethics) to be cross-listed with WSGS or to have significant gender content.
For information about the graduate program in Women's Studies and Gender Studies, contact the Graduate Program Director Dr. Suzanne Bost at email@example.com. To request materials or information online, please fill out this form.
To apply to a Women's Studies and Gender Studies graduate program, visit Graduate and Professional Education at Loyola or click here to apply online. Applicants for the dual degree in Women's Studies and Gender Studies and Theology should apply for admission to the programs using one application, indicating their intent to pursue the dual degree.
The MA program application requires three letters of recommendation, transcripts from all universities attended, a personal statement of purpose and a writing sample of five to twenty-five pages that includes citations and references, as well as the completed application form with application fee. Letters of reference from professors are preferred. The writing sample may be on any topic.
The application for the Masters degree in Women's Studies and Gender Studies is due by:
Fall entry: June 1
Spring entry: November 1