Welcome Back Message, Fall 2023
August 23, 2023
Dear Loyola Faculty,
Welcome to a new academic year. Next week, as we have done at Loyola for 153 years, we welcome students from around the city and around the world to our classrooms and embark on a transformative journey of education, scholarship, and service.
As you prepare for the fall semester, I remind you of resources available to deepen and enrich the learning experience.
- The Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy (FCIP) provides a wealth of resources designed by Loyola faculty to help with designing and teaching your course this semester. Topics include inclusive syllabi, implementing flexible course policies, soliciting student feedback, supporting student learning, and creating activities and assessments. These topics represent aspects of student-centered or anti-racist course design. The strategies and examples your faculty colleagues share in videos and podcasts highlight techniques you can use to engage your students and support their success.
- Information Technology Services offers Instructional Technology & Research Support. (ITRS) is a service-oriented group committed to enriching the educational experience at Loyola University Chicago, and the Center for Engaged Learning, Teaching and Scholarship (CELTS) offers a range of faculty development programming.
- The Office of Online Learning provides comprehensive support for development and delivery of online courses, including instructional design assistance, quality assurance, accessibility checks, state authorization, and faculty development.
The Office of Faculty Affairs continues to offer programming to advance your scholarly and creative activities, as well as professional and leadership development opportunities.
- Applications for the Faculty Development Leave Program and Summer Research Stipend are due in early fall. Please check with your department/school administration for internal deadlines. The goal of these programs is to provide tenured and tenure-track faculty members with opportunities to pursue activities that will enhance both their individual careers and their contributions to the broader mission of Loyola University Chicago.
- The Intra-University Visiting Fellowship and the Interdisciplinary Curricular Fellowship allow faculty to develop a deeper understanding of related fields that offer collaborative opportunities for research, teaching and other scholarly activities.
- For more information about faculty mentoring, additional fellowship and grant opportunities, promotion and tenure workshops, and faculty writing groups please email Faculty_Develop@LUC.edu and check out our monthly Faculty Affairs newsletter.
I look forward to seeing many of you at our 2023 Faculty Convocation on Sunday, September 17, when we will welcome new faculty and celebrate the work of our colleagues. We will preview an exciting academic year in which we will embark on implementing a bold and ambitious strategic plan.
I could not be more grateful for your work and collegiality, and wish you the very best in the coming academic year.
Margaret Faut Callahan, CRNA, PhD, FNAP, FAAN
Provost and Chief Academic Officer