Non-Traditional Credit: Credit Through Examination
Frequently Asked Questions
- Students can get NTC by earning a passing score on exams approved by the University to count for college-level credit.
- Students can take two types of exams: College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST).
- Students can also earn credit for passing scores on select International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP) exams that they completed in high school.
- Students who successfully earn a passing score on an exam may use the applicable credit for a variety of core, major, and elective requirements, depending on the exam completed.
- Not all course requirements can be completed via an exam.
- CLEP exams are the only option to earn NTC for a select group of approved Core courses. These approved exams are listed at this link.
I have determined what exams I am eligible to complete and I want to sign up. What should I do next?
I completed the exams and I want to send my scores to Loyola, but the CLEP and DSST companies are asking for my "university/school code" before I can send the exam score transcripts. What do I need to do?
- Loyola’s CLEP university code is 1412.
- Loyola’s DSST university code is 9522.
- Official passing scores should be sent to the following address:
Office of Registration and Records
Loyola University Chicago
820 N. Michigan Avenue, Ste. 510
Chicago, IL 60611
- Registration and Records will contact you via email once they receive your exam transcripts.
To learn more about our credit through examination program, contact us at email@example.com.