American Red Cross Certification Classes
Upcoming Water Safety Instructor Certification
Earn your Swimming and Water Safety Instructor Certification from the American Red Cross, and gain the skills needed to teach courses and make presentations to swimmers of every age and ability. You can help recreational swimmers meet their goals, refine their skills and stay safe in, on, and around water. Upon successful completion of your aquatics training classes, you will receive a 2-year certification delivered via Red Cross Digital Certificates.
- Pre-Class Online learning – this can be done at your own pace. Most students spend about 4 hours completing this portion. It must be completed before class starts. You do have the option to save your progress and log back in later, so you can break this up into segments.
- Friday, December 1st 6-9 pm
- Saturday, December 2nd 9 am – 5 pm
- Sunday, December 3rd 9 am – 4 pm
- Cost: Loyola charges $125 for the class; the American Red Cross will also charge a $35 fee. These will cover your instructor, books for the class, and the actual certification
- Pre-Requisites:During the first class meeting, students will be asked to demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills:
- Front Crawl -25 yards
- Back Crawl -25 yards
- Breaststroke-25 yards
- Elementary Backstroke-25 yards
- Sidestroke-25 yards
- Butterfly-15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
- *Skills need to be proficient, not perfect.
- Supplies needed: A swim suit that you are comfortable moving around in, a towel, a change of clothes, something to write with, a highlighter; participants are encouraged to bring their own goggles, a water bottle, lunch and/or snacks, but there is also food options around campus.
To register, contact Kathryn Thies email@example.com
If you have a group that is interested in a class please let us know! We offer the following courses:
- Lifeguard Certification
- Water Safety Instructor Certification
- Lifeguard Management
- First Aid
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches
- Home Pool Safety
- Longfellow's WHALE Tales
- Rip Current Safety
- Blood Borne Pathogen Training
Lifeguard Certification Class
The primary purpose of the Lifeguarding program is to train lifeguards to act with speed and confidence in emergency situations both in and out of the water. Topics include water rescue skills, surveillance and recognition, first aid, breathing and cardiac emergencies, CPR, AED and more. Upon successful completion of this class, you'll receive a 2-year certification.
- Must be at least 15 years old on or before the last day of class
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 -pound object, surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands holding object, exit the water without using a ladder or steps
Questions? Contact Kathryn Thies at firstname.lastname@example.org