Return to Campus Rec
Welcome to the Return of Campus Recreation and the return of Halas Recreation Center. This page is dedicated to updated information on our facility, program, and services.
The Halas Recreation Center is planned to open on January 19th!
Please check out the section below for more detailed information including how to register to work out (which is now a requirement of Halas), hours of operation, what to expect, and more.
This page continues to be updated with new information. We plan to have program schedules and links posted prior to and during welcome week, and we will continue to update throughout the semester. Thank you for your patience!
For all general questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: December 7, 2020
Monday - Friday
In an effort to keep you safe, Campus Recreation will be following all CDC, University, State, and City guidelines, which means a limit on the number of Ramblers in Halas at any given time. If you'd like to use partake in a Group Fitness Class, you will need to register:
- To reserve a time to work out, log into our Member Portal with your LUC UVID at https://campusrec.luc.edu/
- Scroll down to select which Fitness class you would like to partake in.
- Select the time you wish to register for.
- Time slots open 48 hours in advance.
- Add that time slot to your cart and complete your 'purchase' (time slots are no charge).
- You should receive an emailed receipt with a calendar invite to remind you when your time slot is.
For more guidance, follow the video below!
- Patrons will reserve time to work out in either the cardio or weight room spaces
- Will be limited to 50 minutes and can only work out in one space at a time to maximize the number of Ramblers who can work out
- Bouldering Wall and Top Rope Wall
- All Gender locker room facility
- Limited locker room (no showers or day use lockers)
- Limited weight and cardio equipment - see below
Equipment that is available as of 8/24
All equipment must be placed 6-10 feet away. With limited space in our facility, we have had to move or place many pieces of equipment out of rotation. We ask that you remain flexible with your work outs.
Main Cardio: 2 stair mastsers, 10 treadmills, 1 incline tread, 5 elliptical, 1 Woodway, 2 arc trainers
Cardio Bridge: 1 rower, 6 bikes, 2 ellipticals, 1 Stairmaster
Weight room and HRC 1: deadlift platform, 2 squat racks, 7 free weight stations, 2 bench presses, 1 lateral leg press, 1 incline press, 1 leg extension, 1 calf extension, 1 leg curl, 1 shoulder press, 1 rowers, 1 handle lat pull, 1 chin/assist dip, 1 tricep press, 1 hip abductor, 1 decline ab, 1 crunch press, 1 ab crunch, 1 AB-x
* no floor work outs or mats at this time. We will not have check out equipment at this time.
- Equipment check out
- Day use lockers
- Basketball courts
- Indoor track
- Fitness studio use
- Synergy studio
- Sharable/check out fitness equipment
- Towel service (patrons may bring their own towel)
- Mats (patrons may bring their own)
- Please use the Member Portal to sign up for a time slot to work out.
- Check in by scanning your own LUC ID card; wait for staff acknowledgement before entering.
- Take responsibility for your own safety and minimize the risk of transmission. Do not solely rely on others to maintain safety and disinfect equipment. #CareforSelf #CareforOthers #CareforCommunity
- Patrons must use provided wipes before and after use of all equipment
- Ramblers are encouraged to come prepared to workout in their workout attire, leaving as many personal items at home as possible. However, we will not have equipment checkout so you will need to bring your own equipment (mats, resistance bands, etc) and a water bottle.
- Per CDC, State, City, and University Guidelines, you are required to wear a mask while working out, except when in the pool. Wearing a mask while working out will have an impact on your previous exercise duration and intensity. Listen to your body and don’t overdo it!
- Please do not show up more than 5 minutes early for your workout time. We will use the time in between time slots to clean and sanitize.
- To maintain social distancing, partner workouts will not be allowed; this includes spotting.
- Self-screen before coming to the facility for any of the following new or worsening signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19. If you have any of these signs or symptoms, do not come to the facility.
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Chills/Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Known close contact with a person who is lab confirmed to have COVID-19
- Patrons should bring own water bottle as fountains will be off (refill will be on)
- Patrons may bring a towel and a yoga matt, but no other person equipment
- Cleaning and disinfectant protocols have been added to include regular cleaning of touch points, equipment and all spaces
- Staff will be in masks and will adhere to all social distancing protocols
- Reservation system will be strictly enforced
- We will continue to monitor and update policies and procedures from the University, City of Chicago, Illinois, CDC, Red Cross, etc
Below is a list of our program areas. As we near the start of the spring semester, these pages will be updated with program opportunities and how to get involved.