Congratulations! We are happy to announce that you will be attending the Field Museum job shadow program. We believe the program will prove to be a wonderful learning experience. To that end, please see below for important information about logistics and what you can do to maximize the day.
Wednesday, January 9, 9:30-noon
Students should gather at 9 am in the West Entrance of the Museum where a guard will issue visitor passes. Parking is available with a week’s notice. (Please contact Sarah Sargent) Otherwise, the 146 bus stops at the museum, or you can walk from the Roosevelt stop on the Red Line.
It is imperative you arrive on time!
Point of Contact:
Sarah Sargent, email@example.com, 312-665-7412
Company Overview :
The Field Museum is concerned with the diversity and relationships in nature and among cultures. It provides collection-based research and learning for greater public understanding and appreciation of the world in which we live. Its collections, public learning programs, and research are inseparably linked to serve a diverse public of varied ages, backgrounds and knowledge. The Exhibitions Department creates exhibits where visitors can enjoy informal learning.
We will focus on exhibition development, which is the job of creating the story, working with curators to choose themes and objects, writing labels, and scripting videos. The job also involves visitor research. We will begin with a tour of a recent exhibit, followed by a behind-the-scenes tour of the exhibition department, a discussion of what we do in exhibition development (i.e. research, writing, visitor studies), and a discussion of our internship programs and our hiring process.
Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided, but there is a Corner Bakery at the museum if students want to get lunch for themselves after the program.
We will mostly focus on exhibition development. However, if students are interested in other career paths related to exhibitions, they should contact Sarah Sargent by phone or email (see above) before January 9.
How To Prepare:
- Research the Field Museum in advance by reviewing their website and through the Vault Career Insider (http://www.luc.edu/career/vault.shtml User Name: lucvault Password: lucvault)
- Be prepared to answer questions about yourself that relate to your experiences, skills, interests, and goals.
- Think through several areas you'd like to know more about and generate specific questions you may want to ask.
- If you are unable to attend due to an emergency, please call the Career Development Center at 773.508.7716. Don't just fail to show up!
- Be on time!
- Wear business casual attire. Dress pants/skirt or khakis and dress shirt/sweater along with dress shoes or boots. No jeans, tshirts, sweatshirts, tennis shoes, etc. Women avoid low cut tops or short skirts.
- Be professional: While at the organization, you are representing yourself and Loyola University Chicago. Use a firm hand shake, be attentive, show enthusiasm, and keep a positive attitude!
- Remember issues of confidentiality. What you hear/see may need to stay on site.
- Get business cards from the professionals you meet for follow-up and future contact.
- Thank your hosts before you leave and remember to send a follow up thank you note!
Please let Marty know if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org; 773.508.2895)