Fairs and Events
Each year, Career Services partners with colleges, program and employers to host fairs and events, including on-campus recruiting and the annual Job Shadow Program. In addition, through Handshake, we publicize Chicago-area and relevant events produced by outside organizations. Please note, due to COVID-19, the Fall Job Shadow Program is on hold until 2021.
A Guide to Virtual Career Fairs
When you attend a virtual career fair, you can expect many of the same experiences as an in-person fair, such as meeting the employer, getting an opportunity to ask questions about a company, etc. So how is a virtual career fair different from an in-person fair?
- To participate in LUC's Virtual Career Fairs, students must register and schedule meeting times with employers. First, be sure to claim your Handshake account and complete your profile.
- To register, go to Handshake's Events page and click on the virtual career fair you want to attend. On the fair's page, click the purple "Register" button in the top right corner.
- After registering, set-up your schedule to meet with employers. Each employer will create available meeting slots which will be either 30-minute, Group Sessions or 10-minute, 1:1 Sessions. You will need to schedule sessions prior to their start time to be able to join them.
- Test your technology prior to the fair. You'll need to use a supported browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari (do not use Explorer). You'll also want a good internet connection, speakers/microphone, and a webcam.
- Polish up your resume in Handshake with these guides, or get help from Career Services by making an appointment or attending virtual drop-ins.
- Research the employer(s) you plan to meet and prepare a quick elevator pitch for yourself. You'll want to be able to give an overview of your background, studies, and career goals. It's also a good idea to have some questions prepared to ask the employer(s).
- Plan to present yourself professionally. This means wearing a nice outfit and finding a quiet spot with a neutral background for your video.
- Add calendar reminders for yourself for each session. You must log-in to Handshake to attend.
- Log in to Handshake and go to the page for the virtual fair. You'll see your schedule there and will be able to click "Join" when it is time for your session(s).
- Be sure to arrive on time to your sessions. You won't be able to join them late.
- When talking with employers, be sure to maintain eye contact, practice active listening, and ask questions. Treat this interaction like a job interview.
- Ask for contact information and next steps from the employer.
- Following-up with employers is key. You can send a brief email or personalized LinkedIn invite to thank the employer(s) for their time and express your interest in them.
- See if an employer has job or internship opportunities that you are interested in and consider applying for them.
- Give yourself a pat on the back for successfully participating in a virtual career fair!
Want more details about preparing for and attending virtual fairs? Check out the following resources or contact us at email@example.com.