Suggested Packing List
- Health Insurance Information
- We recommend you make photocopies of your documents and store them in a safe place
What should I wear to class?
U.S. students typically dress casually for class—jeans and a t-shirt with comfortable shoes is an acceptable outfit! Some students prefer to dress a bit more formal, but this is not a requirement.
What do people wear around the city of Chicago?
Chicago has hot humid summers and frigid cold winters -- It is important to prepare for both of these weather conditions. Due to the unpredictable weather, residents of Chicago tend to wear light layers in warmer months and add scarves, gloves, and boots in the colder months. Due to space, many students will purchase a winter jacket after arriving in Chicago, if necessary. The International House is air-conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter. We recommend you pack layers so that you are prepared for any weather conditions.
How do I dress for going out at night?
This is going to be a personal choice—most Chicago restaurants, bars and clubs will have their own style and you will find places where you are more comfortable than others. You may go out one weekend in a very casual outfit of jeans and a simple top and the next day you will find yourself your favorite dress clothes!
- TSA site: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items (see prohibited items here; other valuable information about acceptable forms of identification)
- Remember to leave space for souvenirs!
- There is no need to bring towels or bedding - we will provide you with basic towel and bedding sets when you arrive.