Title/s: Associate Professor and Post-Baccalaureate Program Director
B.Th., Holy Trinity Seminary
M.A., Ph.D., Cornell University
History and criticism of ancient theater, lyric poetry, Second Sophistic, Byzantine literature, critical theory, linguistics
Work in Progress: The Gospel of Hades: Greek Myth and the Invention of Easter: a monograph on katabasis (underworld journey) in Greek tradition
- A Companion to the Study of Greek Comedy, edited volume (Brill, 2010) - including "Comedy and her Critics," 1-33.
- Figures of Play (Oxford, 2001)
- The City As Comedy (Chapel Hill, 1997)
- Beyond Aristophanes (Scholars Press, 1995)
- "Veiled Venom: Comedy, Censorship and Figuration," in Singing the Muses: Essays in Honor of Pietro Pucci (Berlin and New York, 2010).
- Review of A. Bierl, Ritual and Performativity: The Chorus of Old Comedy(Cambridge MA and London, 2009): Classical World, summer 2010.
- "Comedy, Censorship, and Metaphor," American Philological Association, San Antonio, 7 January 2011.
- "Tragedy at Play: Politics and Humor in Greek Drama", DePaul University, 18 October 2010.
- "Censorship and the Art of Comedy," Illinois Classical Conference, Knox College, 16 October 2010.
Listen to Greg's music.