Title/s: Associate Professor and Chair
Office #: Crown Center 579
B.A., University of Michigan
M.A., Columbia University
M.A., University of Michigan
Ph.D., University of Michigan
Ph.D., Ludwig-Maximilians Universitat
Ancient Near East, Alexander the Great, ancient warfare
Books and Articles:
- Much Ado about Marduk: Questioning Discourses of Royalty in First Millennium Mesopotamian Literature (Berlin: de Gruyter, 2017).
- Contested Pasts: A Determinist History of Alexander the Great in the Roman Empire. University of Michigan Press (forthcoming, 2022).
- “The Center of the Earth in Ancient Thought.” Journal of Ancient Near Eastern History 4 nos.1-2, 2017 (177-209).
- “Herodotus’ Poor Man of Nippur.” Classical World 112.2, 2019 (13-38).
- “The Ship of Aeneas.” The Ancient History Bulletin 34.1-2, 2020 (1-24).
- “Plutarch’s Themistocles: The Serpent of Hellas.” Histos 14, 2020 (185-205).
- “Persian Collections: Center and Periphery at Achaemenid Imperial Capitals.” Studia Orientalis (forthcoming).
- “One House Left Standing: Negotiating Dynastic Identity in the Conquest of Empire.” Invited Workshop Presenter at the University of Chicago (November 2018).
- “The Ship of Aeneas.” Presented at the annual meeting of the Association of Ancient Historians (April 2019).
- “Making a Third Space in Susa: Achaemenid Displays of the Periphery in the Center.” Invited Workshop Presenter for the Conference on Ancient Empires, Helsinki, Finland (August 2019).
- “Near Eastern Military Empires and the Origins of Fake News in the Ancient World.” Workshop Organizer and Presenter, The Many Faces of War V, South Dakota State University (October 2019); invited lecturer at the University of Colorado-Boulder, Center for the Study of Origins (October 2020).
- “The Unruinable City in the Ancient Near East.” Invited workshop presenter at the annual meeting of the American Society for Oriental Research (November 2020).
- “The Hoplite Enigma: Ancient Persian War Strategy and its Failures.” Invited Workshop Presenter, Conference on Ancient Military Strategy at Quantico (November 2021).
Works in Progress:
- Editor, Brill’s Companion to Courage and Cowardice in Ancient Mediterranean Warfare
- “Lies and Deceit in Ancient Near Eastern Warfare.” Forthcoming in Lies, Trickery, and Deceit in Ancient Conflict.
- “Alexander’s Military Propaganda.” Forthcoming in Brill’s Companion to Alexander the Great’s Military Strategy.
- The Unruinable City in the Ancient World (book project).