|Message Sent To:||All Faculty|
|Date Sent:||Tuesday, August 18, 2020 04:53 PM CDT|
Faculty Resources Digest: Support for Students
In this email, we are highlighting academic resources available to support our students. Most importantly, all academic support services will continue to be offered virtually to provide the most access to our students. We also have created many new resources for this online fall semester.
This email follows our July 30 Faculty Resource Digest that shared resources for teaching online this fall. We encourage you to continue to visit Loyola’s Academic Continuity webpage, which is a central hub for faculty support, and the Return to Campus website.
In addition to the ongoing student resources described below, please alert your students to the following important, upcoming events:
- Sakai Training for Students: Students can join a guided tour of Sakai, Loyola’s learning management system, on Wednesday, August 19 at 2 p.m. Central time. Open to all new and returning undergraduate, graduate, professional and continuing students, Introduction to Sakai for Students webinar will cover teaching and learning tools, including Calendar, Lessons, Tests and Quizzes, and Gradebook. Registration form.
- Welcome Week: Welcome Week helps undergraduate students discover Loyola’s social and academic programs through more than 30 virtual events held from August 19 to 28. Please encourage your undergraduate students to consider attending Welcome Week.
Thank you again for all that you’ve done to prepare for fall. Your preparation has been considerable, and through your hard work, we will continue to provide the high-quality education that our students expect.
As a last note, we invite you to get to know Provost and Chief Academic Officer Norberto Grzywacz by watching him present his neuroscience research entitled “The Brain and the Experience of Beauty” on September 1 at 4:45 p.m. via Zoom. Register here.
Academic Continuity Working GroupBetsi S. Burns, (Chair) Director, Learning and Student Success
Kelly Barry, Instructional Designer/Senior Lecturer, SCPS
Anne Divita Kopacz, Communications Director, University Marketing and Communication
Joyce Knight, Associate Dean, CAS
Jessica Mansbach, Associate Director, Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy
Rachel Shefner, Assistant Provost for Assessment, Accreditation and Regulatory Compliance
Kristlyn Thomas, Instructional Designer, Office of Online Learning
Tim Walker, Associate Director, ITRS
The new Rambler Resources page on the Student Academic Services website is a new one-stop page for all Loyola students to access the supports and resources newly developed for this fall.
These resources include:
- Sakai Resources: There are three new Sakai sites to connect students to University-wide resources for academic success.
- Current Student Success Online: This Sakai site provides all students (undergraduate, graduate, professional, and continuing) with easy access to what they need to know about returning to campus, online learning, and navigating technology in their courses (for example, Zoom, Panopto, and VoiceThread). Through this site, students can practice handing in assignments through Sakai and making posts in Discussion Forums. This site will be monitored by success coaches who will provide feedback to students as needed.
- New Student Success Online: This Sakai site will be similar to the current student Sakai site, but it draws attention to resources of particular interest to new students. Checklists and highlighting help new students find their way as they begin their Rambler journey.
- Academic Success @ Loyola Faculty Module: This Sakai site includes academic resources for students that faculty will be able to mirror in their course Sakai sites. Read the instructions (PDF) for faculty to add the Academic Success @ Loyola module to their Sakai site.
- Graduate, Professional and Adult Student Life: This Loyola website includes academic resources, governance, and other support pertaining to graduate, professional, and adult student life.
- Resource Rundown: A comprehensive listing of support services for all students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) that includes both academic and extracurricular activities that will soon be available on the new Rambler Resources webpage. Support services include academic advising, career services, new student programs, University Libraries, Student Accessibility Center, the Tutoring Center, the Writing Center, and more.
- Online Learning Resource Guide: Updated for Fall 2020, this guide provides students with information about how to approach their courses successfully and where to find support for online learning.
- Student Success Newsletter: This biweekly newsletter called The Kettle will inform students of resources and engage with campus units to support their overall student success and engagement.
- Navigate: This student-centered mobile app is the best way for Loyola undergraduate students to interact with their advisors.