Robert Lombardo, PhD
Title/s: Professor Emeritus
Office #: Mundelein Center, Room 819
Dr. Robert M. Lombardo PhD, a sociologist, is an Emeritus Professor in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice and a member of the Graduate Faculty at Loyola University, Chicago. Dr. Lombardo was appointed to the faculty in 2005. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois, Chicago in 1994.
Dr. Lombardo is a thirty-three-year police veteran having served twenty-eight years with the Chicago Police Department and five years as the Administrative Deputy Chief of the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Department. He has worked in all areas of policing including patrol, investigations, narcotics, administration, and organized crime.
In addition, Dr. Lombardo has taught at the Chicago Police Academy and the Illinois State Police Academy, and as a visiting scholar at the Police School of Catalonia (Spain) and the Police Staff College Bramshill, England.
Dr. Lombardo was appointed in 2000 by Illinois Governor George Ryan to serve on the Illinois Wireless Enhanced 911 Board and was a member of the Cook County Emergency Telephone System Board from 1997 to 2001. He also served as a consultant to the Illinois Integrated Justice Information Systems Implementation Board from 2002 to 2005.
Dr. Lombardo has served as a guest editor for the Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, a peer reviewer for Trends in Organized Crime, and a book reviewer for the American Journal of Sociology.
- Organized crime
- Street Gangs
- Community Policing
- The Criminal Justice System CJC 131
- Theories of Criminal Behavior CJC 201
- Municipal Police Operations CJC 203
- Contemporary Police Issues CJC 310
- Written Communication in Criminal Justice CJC 330
- Organized Crime CJC 351
- Gang Activity and Control CJC 352
- Senior Capstone Course CJC399
- Theories and Research in Crime and Delinquency CJC 402
- Advanced Topics in Policing CJC 411
- Lombardo, Robert M.: Organized Crime: Causes and Consequences. NOVA Scientific Publishers. 2019
- Lombardo, Robert M.: Organized Crime in Chicago: Beyond the Mafia. University of Illinois Press. 2012.
- Lombardo, R. M.: The Black Hand: Terror by Letter in Chicago. University of Illinois Press. 2010