Congrats to the 2020 Alumni Headed to Full-Time Service!
See the fabulous slideshow above highlighting the wonderful members of the Class of 2020 headed into full-time service programs around the globe!
What is Post-Graduate Volunteer Service?
All of us are called to serve our community throughout our lives. For some of us, committing to a full year or two of service after college is a great way to practice that commitment. Ever heard of Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC)? AmeriCorps? Those -- and many more -- are all post-graduate volunteer programs.
Post-graduate volunteer programs offer people the opportunity to commit an extended period of time to serving communities in need. From a few months to 2 years, you can volunteer your talents to full time! These programs help you give to your community, but they also help you build skills, explore a possible career, gain experience, and deepen your faith.
As we move forward into a difficult economic and social period around the globe, consider full-time service as both a way to build community and a way to build yourself. You can make a real impact on both through meaningful, purposeful, extended service.
Thinking of ways that service can be part of your life after you graduate? You've got options! Feel free to contact Community Service and Action for a conversation about the many ways you can serve. We have great resources to aid your search.
Where Do I start?
Begin your discernment of post-graduate volunteer opportunities by thinking about the following questions
- Why do I want to volunteer after I graduate? What motivates me?
- Where do I want to volunteer?
- What kind of community would I want to join through a service commitment?
- What skills could I offer, and what skills would I hope to develop?
- Do I want to live in community or on my own?
- What support will I need to be successful?
- What financial considerations do I need to be aware of? (Visit Loyola's Financial Wellness page!)
- What other obstacles do I need to manage for this to be an option?
What Programs Exist?
Post-grad volunteer programs abound! And many Loyola alumni/a can share with you their positive experiences with various volunteer programs. There are a few resources to help you explore post-grad volunteer programs:
- Every fall, we offer post-graduate volunteer fair where you can meet representatives from different programs.
- Our office carries many materials from different programs for you to browse. Two web resources we recommend are
- Want to have a representative come to talk from a particular program? Contact us.
- CSA staff regularly meets one-on-one with students thinking about service opportunities. Contact us to set up an appointment, no matter if you just want to know more or are ready to start applying!
- Learn about benefits, like those offered from AmeriCorps. For example, check out the Schools of National Service that provide various financial and other benefits to AmeriCorps Alumni.
Post-Graduate Service Information Session
Tuesday, February 9
Register to Join Us!
Join this conversation to learn more about what full-time service is and how it can help you achieve your goals! Learn about the experiences of Loyola alumni who have served, benefits to you and to the community through service, and how to decide if the option might be a good one for you!
Contact the CSA at firstname.lastname@example.org to meet one-on-one to learn about resources that can help your search for post-graduate service. We'll discuss your motivations, questions, and concerns about serving full-time after you graduate. And we'll discuss resources to help you discern if full-time service is for you!
Post-Graduate Volunteer Recognition
Graduating seniors who have committed to full-time service after graduation will be recognized for their commitment! Let us know as your plans take shape!