Loyola University Chicago

Student Diversity & Multicultural Affairs

Division of Student Development

Name Change Process

Please note that this information is subject to change, and may not be exhaustive. SDMA is here for you, and if you need assistance during any of this process, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Once the state component is completed, the first point of contact will be the Registrar. After the new government identification is received, the next point is to get a Name Change Form on the Registrar’s website (below). Once the form is completed, it must be notarized with the same government identification that has the changed name on it and submitted to the front desk of the Office of Registration and Records on the 5th floor of Lewis Towers.  An e-mail, with scans that are clean and highly legible, could also be sent to registrar@luc.edu.  If the name change is also a part of a broader gender marker change on state records, students are able to use a letter of safe passage (a letter from the student’s care provider including the correct, new name) to begin the process. If a student also does not want gender indicated, a Note can be included on the Name Change Form.

Student Employment

If you are (or have) worked on campus for Loyola University Chicago, you will need to contact your supervisor and request they put you in contact with their correspondent in the Human Resources Department. Human Resources will then request the name change, and it will be updated in LOCUS/Peoplesoft.

Information Technology Services

Once the above steps are completed, contact the ITS Helpdesk (helpdesk@luc.edu) and request that the Universal Identification (UVID) and Name Appearance for all applications (such as LOCUS) to be updated. The Server Team of ITS will then work with the Sakai and LOCUS teams to update all of the applications. Outlook should be updated when the Registrar’s office receives documentation of the name change—however, if it is not, request a service ticket through the ITS Help Desk and it should be updated accordingly. There is a possibility that an e-mail address may need to be changed, which will affect access that one may have to previous communications.


While Loyola University Chicago does not currently offer gender neutral housing, the Department of Residence Life believes in ensuring that all students are comfortable in their housing assignments and community. If you would like to discuss the process further, and how to ensure that you will be able to live in a space that embraces your identity, Housing Assignments Coordinator, Melissa Bagdon, can be reached at mbagdon@luc.edu or by calling main department line at 773.508.3300.

State of Illinois

Before names can be changed within Loyola University Chicago databases and systems, those who are changing their name(s) need to follow the procedures and protocols of the state of Illinois. Information on how to go about the process (which can take several months, and may cost up to $500) is available from Equality Illinois, as well as the Howard Brown Health Center. The resources also include information and explanations for gender marker changes in the state of Illinois.





We’re here for you.

If at any point during this process you need support or have question, please stop by the Department of Student Diversity & Multicultural Affairs. We can also be reached by e-mail at diversity@luc.edu, or by phone at 773.508.3909. Loyola University Chicago is a place for you, and we are willing to do all in our power to ensure that it truly is.