Students Together Are Reaching Success (STARS)
Students Together Are Reaching Success (STARS) is an undergraduate peer mentorship, college transition and success program that provides direct support to first-year students who self-identify as a first-generation college student and/ or a student of color. First-year mentees get connected with returning students for personal, group mentoring and attend programs that connect them to resources, tools and support to successfully complete their first academic year of college and continue to graduation from Loyola University Chicago.
STARS Mentees will have the opportunity to:
- Be matched with a peer mentor throughout your first year in college. All mentors are past mentees of STARS and/ or successful returning students that have a significant amount of knowledge and resources that will help you be the best student possible.
- Engage in 1:1 bi-weekly meetings with their mentor to connect on resources, community and support.
- Participate in monthly gatherings with the STARS community that range from community building opportunities, campus resource conversations, identity development, engage in social justice issues and topics, and dialogue on current issues impacting the student experience.
- Attend the annual 3-day overnight STARS Retreat off-campus that is an additional opportunity to deepen relationship with peers, engage in activities for self-reflection and exploration of intersectional identities to develop the tools for self-efficacy, resilience and empowerment.
- Be eligible to participate in the Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) program in the spring semester and engage in activities to enhance leadership skills. This is an hourly and paid opportunity.
- Be a part of the greater SDMA community!
Students who self- identify with either of the following backgrounds are eligible to join STARS:
- First-generation college students(i.e., first in their family to attend college; neither parent has earned their college degree in the U.S.)
- Student of color (i.e., African American/Black, Arab American, Asian/ American, Latino/a/x, Middle Eastern, Native American, Pacific Islander, or Multiracial students)
There is no fee to join the STARS program. For questions, please email email@example.com.