Faculty and Staff Directory
Dr. Bohanon has been a special education teacher in the Dallas Public Schools. He also has served as project coordinator at the University of Kansas for the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs research on positive behavior supports. Dr. Hank Bohanon is an associate professor in School of Education at Loyola University of Chicago. There he founded and served as the director of the Center for School Evaluation, Intervention, and Training (CSEIT). He is a former member of the board of directors for the Association of Positive Behavior Support. His research includes three-tiered academic and behavior supports in urban and suburban settings. His current work focuses on supports for high school settings and state level evaluation of practice for Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports, Response to Intervention, Social and Emotional Learning, and School Mental Health.
- Ph.D. University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- Teaching, Learning, and Leading in Communities and Schools
- Positive Behavior Support
- Response to Intervention and Evaluation
- Integration of response to intervention, social emotional learning, and school
- Mental health
- Program implementation
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Association of Positive Behavior Support
- National School Psychologist Association, Affiliate member
- CIEP 478 Behavior Intervention
- CIEP 501 Exceptional Lives II (low incidence disabilities)
- TLSC 261 Significant Disabilities & Life Planning
- TLSC 262 Assistive and Adaptive Technology
- TLSC 263 Transition Planning
- Loyola University Chicago, School of Education Distinguished Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching (2018)
- Bohanon, H. (2015). Changes in adult behavior to decrease disruption from students in non-classroom settings. Intervention in School and Clinic. 15 (1),12-18. http://ecommons.luc.edu/education_facpubs/39
- Bohanon, H., Castillo, J., & Afton, M. (2015). Embedding self-determination and futures planning within a schoolwide framework. Intervention in School and Clinic. 50 (4), 203-209. http://ecommons.luc.edu/education_facpubs/16/
- Bohanon, H. & Wu, M. (2014). Developing buy-in for positive behavior support in secondary settings. Preventing School Failure, 58 (4), 1–7. 223-229. doi: 10.1080/1045988X.2013.798774 http://ecommons.luc.edu/education_facpubs/17/
- Flannery, B., Fenning, P, Kato, M. M., & Bohanon, H. (2013). A descriptive study of office disciplinary referrals in high schools. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 21 (2), 138 - 149. doi: 10.1177/1063426611419512.
- Bohanon, H., Fenning, P., Hicks, K., Weber, S., Their, K., Akins. B., Morrissey, K., Briggs, A., Bartucci, G., Hoeper, L., Irvin, L., & McArdle, L. (2012). Case example of the implementation of schoolwide positive behavior support in a high school setting. Preventing School Failure, 56 (2), 92-103. doi: 10.1080/1045988X.2011.588973.
- Bohanon, H. & Wu, M. (2011). Can prevention programs work together? An example of school-based mental health with prevention initiatives. School-Based Mental Health Practice, 4 (4), 35-46.
- Hall, N., Bohanon, H., & Goodman, S. (2016). Behavioral support: Research-based program reduces discipline problems. American School Board Journal Online. Retrieved from https://www.nsba.org/newsroom/american-school-board-journal/behavioral-support and http://ecommons.luc.edu/education_facpubs/71/
Peer Reviewed Newsletter Articles
- Bohanon, H. & Wu, M. (2012). Integration of social, behavioral, and academic initiatives: Part I, Communique’. 41 (2), pp. 4-5. www.nasponline.org
- Bohanon, H. & Wu, M. (2012). Integration of social, behavioral, and academic initiatives: Part II, Communique’. 41 (3), pp. 12-13. www.nasponline.org
Other Publications - Professional Reports and Newsletters
- Bohanon, H. (2016). Behavioral supports for secondary education classrooms. In G. W. Scarlott (Ed.), Classroom Management: An A-to-Z Guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Available at http://ecommons.luc.edu/education_facpubs/70/