Faculty and Staff Directory
Title/s: Assistant Professor
Specialty Area: Social Studies Education; Curriculum History; Social Studies Teacher Preparation
Office #: Lewis Towers 1120, WTC
CV Link: Tocci CV
Charles Tocci’s work explores the connections between American education and democracy in the past and in the present. He is currently focused on the ways that teaching practice changes in intentional, responsive, and sustained ways. In collaboration with a team of education historians, archivists, and curators, to develop interdisciplinary knowledge and networks to improve the preservation, collection, and writing of urban public education’s history.
- Ed.D., Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- M.Ed., Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- M.A.T., National Louis University, Chicago, IL
- B.S., Suffolk University, Boston, MA
- Teaching + Learning
- History and Civics Education
- Change to Teacher Practice
- Education History Archives
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- American Historical Association
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago
- InterCultural Studies for the Future
- National Council for the Social Studies
- CIEP 523 School Improvement & Curriculum Reform
- TLSC 210/406 Education Policy for Diverse Students
- TLSC 300 Secondary Social Studies Professional Learning Community
- TLSC 340/450 Teaching & Learning in Secondary Social Studies
- TLSC 350/451 Teaching & Learning in a Global Framework
- Hedges, L., Pigott, T., Polanin, J., Ryan, A., Tocci, C., & Williams, R.* (2016). The question of school resources and student achievement: A history and reconsideration." review of Research in Education Centennial Edition, 40, p.143-168. (*Authors listed in alphabetical order.)
- Moon, S. & Tocci, C. (2020). Citizenship Education Beyond the Nation State: Implications for Teacher Education. In C. Wolhuter & D. Schugurensky (Eds.), Global Citizenship Education in Teacher Education: Theoretical and Practical Issues (pp. 85-101). Taylor & Francis.
- Ryan A.M., Tocci, C., & Moon, S. (2020). The Curriculum Foundations Reader. New York, NY: Palgrave.
- Tocci, C. (2018). Wild and Small. Educational Philosophy & Theory, 50(14), p.1312-1313.
- Tocci, C., Bartolutti, F., Czajka, K., Jeffirs, J., Matassarin, M., Serrano, N., Timlin, A. (2020). Developing educational websites in lieu of clinical framework. In Ferdig, R.E., Baumgartner, E., Hartshorne, R., Kaplan-Rakowski, R. & Mouza, C. (Eds.), Teaching, Technology, and Teacher Education during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Stories from the Field (pp.649-654). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Tocci, C. & Gregg, D. (2018). Realizing Mutual benefits through Partnering on Teaching and Learning: Loyola, Senn High School, and the International Baccalaureate. In A. Ryan & A. Heineke (Eds.), Teaching, Learning, and Leading with Schools and Communities: One university reinvents teacher education for the next generation (pp.39-56) Routledge.
- Tocci, C. & Moon, S. (2020, February 6 online). Nonviolencing: Imaging Non-violence Pedagogy with Laozi and Deleuze. Journal of Philosophy of Education.
- Tocci, C., Ryan, A.M., & Pigott, T. (2019). Introduction to the volume: Changing teaching practice in PK-20 education settings. Review of Research in Education, 43, p.xii-xviii.