Faculty and Staff Directory
Charles Tocci’s work explores the connections between American education and democracy in the past and in the present. He is currently focused on the ways that teaching practice changes in intentional, responsive, and sustained ways. In collaboration with a team of education historians, archivists, and curators, to develop interdisciplinary knowledge and networks to improve the preservation, collection, and writing of urban public education’s history.
- Ed.D., Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Teaching, Learning, & Leading with Schools & Communities
- History and Civics Education
- Change to Teacher Practice
- Education History Archives
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- American Historical Association
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago
- InterCultural Studies for the Future
- National Council for the Social Studies
- TLSC 210/406 Education Policy for Diverse Students
- TLSC 300 Secondary Social Studies Professional Learning Community
- TLSC 340/450 Teaching & Learning in Secondary Social Studies
- TLSC 350/451 Teaching & Learning in a Global Framework
- Tocci, C. (2018). Wild and Small. Educational Philosophy & Theory.
- Tocci, C. & Gregg, D. (2018). Realizing Mutual Benefits through Partnering on Teaching and Learning: Loyola, Senn High School, and the International Baccalaureate. In Teaching, Learning, and with Schools and Communities: One university reinvents teacher education for the next generation (A. Ryan & A. Heineke, eds.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Ryan, A.M., Tocci, C., Ensminger, D., Rismiati, C., & Moughania, A. (2018). The Incorporation of the IB Learner Profile in Chicago Public Schools Middle Years Programmes. Report to the International Baccalaureate Organization.
- Hedges, L., Pigott, T., Polanin, J., Ryan, A., Tocci, C., & Williams, R.* (2016). The question of school resources and student achievement: A history and reconsideration." review of Research in Education Centennial Edition, 40, p.143-168. (*Authors listed in alphabetical order.)