Barcus, Courtney Lynn
Clinical Assistant Professor
- PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (Anticipated Graduation Date: May 2022)
- EdS, National Louis University, Chicago, Illinois
- MS, Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri
- BS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Illinois
Courtney Lynn Barcus is a former instructional coach and special education teacher in both Chicago and St. Louis Public Schools. She has over fifteen years of experience supporting teachers, schools, and districts across the Chicago area to implement effective instructional practices. Her academic interests include teacher leadership, universal design for learning, and effective teacher preparation programming. Her current research focuses on shaping a positive mathematics identity for special educators and supporting their knowledge development for teaching mathematics. She is currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Specialty AreaSpecial Education Mathematics Education Teacher Preparation Teacher Leadership
- TLSC Sequence 1 Introduction to Teaching, Learning, and Leading with Schools and Communities
- TLCS 360 Putting it Together: Developing and Implementing Rigorous and Relevant Instruction and Assessment
- Special Educators Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching
- Special Educators
- Educator Identity
- Teacher Leadership
- National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Exceptional Children – Division of Teacher Education Development (TED)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Barcus, C. L., Passmore, A. H., Tobon, G., Zarate, K., Moles, B., Posey, K., Dorsey, C., Maggin, D., & Hughes, M. T. (2021). Defining teacher leadership: Perspectives from special educators [Manuscript in preparation]. Department of Special Education, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Zarate, K., & Barcus, C. L. (in review). Training paraprofessionals with fidelity: A systematic literature review.
- Hughes, M. T., Braun, G., & Barcus, C. L. (2021). Preparing special educators for inclusive classes: Focusing experiential learning experiences on content and disciplinary literacy instruction. In P. M. Jenlink (Ed.), Learning to teach: Curricular and pedagogical considerations for teacher preparation. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Hughes, M. T., Maggin, D. M., Barcus, C. L., & Passmore, A. (2021). Special Education Teacher Leadership: A Vital Component in Enhancing Inclusionary Practices in Schools. In Zugelder, B. S. (Ed.), Empowering Formal and Informal Leadership While Maintaining Teacher Identity (pp. 175-204). IGI Global.
- Barcus, C. L., & Moles, B. (2020). Instructional expertise. In D. M. Maggin, & M. T. Hughes, (Eds.), Developing teacher leaders in special education: An administrator’s guide to building inclusive schools. Routledge.
- Moles, B., & Barcus, C. L. (2020). Adaptive expertise. In D. M. Maggin, & M. T. Hughes, (Eds.), Developing teacher leaders in special education: An administrator’s guide to building inclusive schools. Routledge.
- Barcus, C. L. (2020). Appendix B – Implementation resources [Editor]. In D. M. Maggin, & M. T. Hughes, (Eds.), Developing teacher leaders in special education: An administrator’s guide to building inclusive schools. Routledge.