PhD in Research Methodology
The doctoral program in research methodology is designed to prepare students for careers as institutional researchers, evaluators, college professors and researchers in such areas as large professional organizations, testing companies and consulting agencies providing educational evaluation services. This degree is conferred by The Graduate School and emphasizes both qualitative and quantitative methodology.
In addition to coursework, students participate in a consulting experience through graduate assistantships and/or job responsibilities, where students conduct a research study and provide consulting assistance.
- Prepare for a career in conducting and evaluating research in education or private industry.
- Receive training in quantitative and qualitative methodology.
- Gain experience providing consulting service through fieldwork component.
- Learn from faculty who are leaders in their fields.
- Evaluate critically bodies of knowledge in research methodologies from a variety of methodological traditions.
- Select and apply appropriate methodologies to address research questions.
- Conduct all stages of a research study in applied settings.
- Engage in ethical, just, and culturally competent research practices.
- Launch careers as institutional researchers, college professors or researchers in such areas as large professional organizations, testing companies and consulting agencies providing educational evaluation services.
Explore the program
The Research Methodology Program Distinguished Alumnus/a Award is given for outstanding contributions to the profession and the school. It is presented annually at the Loyola School of Education’s Fall Alumni Reception.