Title/s: Clinical Assistant Professor
Specialty Area: English Language Learners, Bilingual Education, Multiliteracies
Office #: Lewis Towers 1056, WTC
CV Link: Cohen CV
Sarah Cohen is Clinical Assistant Professor for ELL and Bilingual Education in the School of Education at Loyola University in Chicago. Prior to her graduate studies, she taught in the Chicago Public Schools at the elementary level and has a longstanding interest in social justice in urban educational settings and creating curricular opportunities for diverse learners.
- PhD University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- Teaching, Learning, and Leading with Schools and Communities
- English Language Teaching and Learning (M.Ed.)
- ESL Endorsement Program
- Biliteracy development
- Multiliteracies pedagogy
- Identity and language learning
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Association for Applied Linguistics
- Illinois Association for Multilingual and Multicultural Education (IAMME), Past member of Executive Board
- National Council for Teachers of English
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Past Editor of Bilingual Education Interest Section Newsletter
- CIEP 471: Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners
- TLSC 210: Educational Policy for Diverse Students
- TLSC 220: Individualized Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Students
- Cohen, S. L., & Leoni, L. (2012) Expanding the voices of literacy: Bringing students' language and culture to the fore. In Audrey Cohan and Andrea Honigsfeld (Eds.), Breaking the Mold of Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students: Innovative and Successful Practices for the 21st Century Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Cohen, S. L. (2012). Dual language education: Building on diversity. Thresholds in Education, 36(1).
- Cohen, S. L., & Sastri, P. (2011). Multilingual Identity Texts in the Library Curriculum. In Jim Cummins and Margaret Early (Eds.), Stoke on Trent: Trentham.
- Cohen, S. L. (2011). Making room for identity in second language writing: The promise and possibilities of dual language identity texts. Writing and Pedagogy (3)2
- Botelho, M. J., Cohen, S. L., Leoni, L., Sastri, P., & Chow, P. (2010). Respecting Children's Cultural and Linguistic Knowledge: The Pedagogical Possibilities and Challenges of Multiliteracies in Schools, in Home-school connections in a multicultural society: Learning from and with culturally and linguistically diverse families. In M. L. Dantas & P. Manyak (Eds.), Oxford: Routledge.